asbestos - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Amerigo
I was reading that in old 1970 vinyl floors they used asbestos. Does anyone know if this type was used in Amerigo Trailers? I want to remove the vinyl flooring in my trailer, but do not want to be exposed to this.
Clancy Meyerhoeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I was reading that in old 1970 vinyl floors they used asbestos. Does anyone know if this type was used in Amerigo Trailers? I want to remove the vinyl flooring in my trailer, but do not want to be exposed to this.
Check online. There's lot of stuff about asbestos removal. Some of it differes and only you can decide what kind of risk you want to take.

Most gov guidlines say that unless the tile is crumbling, it's safe to leave it in place. You can also cover it up safely, if it's not crumbling. Asbestos is really not dangerous unless it's airborne and in tiny enough particles that you can inhale it.

Most experts say that you can remove asbestos tile safely by chipping it out, or prying it up. A heat gun will help with this. Don't ever try to grind it off. That would turn the harmless asbestos tile into dangerous asbestos dust.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Amerigo
Quote:
Check online. There's lot of stuff about asbestos removal. Some of it differes and only you can decide what kind of risk you want to take.

Most gov guidlines say that unless the tile is crumbling, it's safe to leave it in place. You can also cover it up safely, if it's not crumbling. Asbestos is really not dangerous unless it's airborne and in tiny enough particles that you can inhale it.

Most experts say that you can remove asbestos tile safely by chipping it out, or prying it up. A heat gun will help with this. Don't ever try to grind it off. That would turn the harmless asbestos tile into dangerous asbestos dust.

I may sound stupid here, but I know nothing about asbestos. I just read that some vinyl floors had it.... This is not any type of tile, just a lam. or vinyl floor that I want to pull up. I pulled some up around the door where it was wet and moldy and the backing does not look like it, but again I have not ever seen asbestos and just trying to be careful as I am spending a week in the trailer in two weeks.

I will try to post pics tomorrow when the sun is back out
Clancy Meyerhoeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Hi Clancy,

I had to work on a fixer-upper house that had asbestos insulation around the roof vents. I highly recommend that you wear a HEPA-rated mask even if you think that the tiles are not shedding and definitely if you use a heat gun (the fumes from the heating process can be toxic), because it's worth the extra protection.

Home Depot has HEPA masks (or used to) for about $40... they look like military gas masks.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are many natural herbs and supplements that can assist our bodies in detoxing during and after exposure (which is absolutely not a replacement for protecting ourselves as best we can).

I try to do specific herbal cleanses preventively and concurrently when doing anything that might overly expose me to crud (i.e. repainting an old house, using spray paints, etc.) and I have really noticed a difference over the years from when I make that effort and when I don't. Apothecaries, naturopaths and doing research on one's own are good resources for learning more about that.

No need to be fearful--just use common sense and some protective measures.

Good luck in your restoration efforts!
Val
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Asbestos particulates cannot be cleared by macrophages which infiltrate lung tissue to try to remove them, and a constant state of irritation and inflammation occurs, which can predispose to lung cancer. There's nothing you can do to clean out these and other particulates (like fiberglass insulation) other than cut out that lung tissue.
Protect your cute pink delicate lungs at all costs, wear a chemical mask that's put on good and snug.
Quote:
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Is it possible to go over the old floor with another material rather than removing the questionable floor covering?
When we had new vinyl installed in our 1978 manufactured home, the installer would not remove the old flooring because of the asbestos hazard, but skimcoated with a thin layer of cement-looking stuff and then glued the new vinyl over that. It has held up well.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Is it possible to go over the old floor with another material rather than removing the questionable floor covering?
Quote:
Most gov guidelines say that unless the tile is crumbling, it's safe to leave it in place. [b]You can also cover it up safely, if it's not crumbling.
Yes
Old 09-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Hi Clancy,

I am in the construction industry and my advice is that any flooring in the 1970 era - regardless of wheter it is a hard tile product (VA Vinyl-Asbestos Tile) or a soft rolled material type of lino should be treated as if it contains. Asbestos was used in the manufacture of the backing of the sheet goods. Wear the proper gear if you proceed to do a removal!

Asbestos was used in flooring through the 1970's and the early 1980's
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am currently dealing with this in my own home. My bedrooms were an attic conversion done in the 70s, and the flooring is thin black backed sheet vinyl. I have no clue of it is asbestos, but I will be treating it as if it were.

I had lung cancer once, and lived. I don't really want it again.

Mesothelioma is the lung cancer caused by asbestos, and it is not curable, at any stage.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:34 AM   #10

Name: Marie
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ontario
How can I remove it? Any suggestion?
Old 04-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I would just cover it with a new laminate floor and you can seal the asbestos before covering with some paint.