Attaching "stuff" to my egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1979
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what solutions you have fro attaching shelving, extra support, brackets etc... to the sides or interior of the fiberglass.

ie, putting shelves in the closet, or attaching wiring to the sides of the trailer.

Do you use screws> right into the fiberglass and poking out the side or worse the outside....? Liquid Nails, or bolts?

I want it to look good without having to fiberglass over the areas I screwed into.

Just looking for ideas

Thanks

Graeme
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Look at some of these items.
http://www.itapestore.com/index.asp?PageAc...ustom&ID=19
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...te/skunum=18637
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what solutions you have fro attaching shelving, extra support, brackets etc... to the sides or interior of the fiberglass.

ie, putting shelves in the closet, or attaching wiring to the sides of the trailer.

Do you use screws> right into the fiberglass and poking out the side or worse the outside....? Liquid Nails, or bolts?

I want it to look good without having to fiberglass over the areas I screwed into.

Just looking for ideas

Thanks

Graeme

I have used five-minute epoxy and Bondo as adhesives. One important thing is is rough up the surface with sandpaper first if you're trying to glue to the raw fiberglass (that is, the unfinished backsides of things). I don't think it matters so much if you're gluing to the gelcoat.

One thing I've done once or twice is to epoxy a nicely finished wood block into place, then screw the accessory to the wood block. That's how I mounted a retractable clothesline in Sis' trailer.

To tuck a wiring harness up out of the way in another trailer, I built wood blocks with notches in them for zip-ties. I bondo-ed the blocks into place, then zip-tied the harness to the blocks.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Poking a hole to the outside should be a last resort.

I use industrial-strength Velcro for attaching many things as it makes it removable without leaving a trace. I use zip-ties a lot also. I also use the 3M plastic hooks with the pull-tab that makes them removable too.

A guy on the Casita forum has used high-strength 3M tape to attach bed support brackets and a solar panel to his roof. 3M sells a device for removing that tape so it appears to be more difficult to remove.

In close or inaccessible quarters aluminum rivets work great.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
... putting shelves in the closet, or attaching wiring to the sides of the trailer.

Just looking for ideas
Here's how I put closet shelves in:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=26529

others have done some here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=26129

Wiring, try to route it through the cabinets, under the body etc.
(hint, try to follow your wiring for the tail lights and you'll get an idea on how it was done.)

HTH Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1300 1979
Perfect

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, I have just completed half the wiring today and was thinking about how to get them out of the way. I hid them best I could, but would like to tuck them up under the cabinets etc...

Since I started the wiring from scratch, I have lots of options.

Thanks Again,

Graeme

ps I have working trailer lights now.....
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I hang shelves and mirrors that are from Bed, Bath and Beyond and are held up by those round, vacuum sticky, plastic circles that you find made for glass, that hold things like thermometers to outside windows. I have a couple of towel racks, a couple of soap dishes, and the bathroom mirror that usually stay put fine while we are driving. That would be problematic though for walls that are not smooth like the UHaul's walls.

Cindy

Tags
eggcamper