ATTENTION BURRO OWNERS-DOOR DOES NOT LOCK FROM THE INSIDE! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974 and Burro 1986 17 ft Widebody
Beside having a Trillum, I also own a Burro 17'-widebody. There is an original door latch system that locks with a key. That locks fine from the outside. Inside on the latch is a little pin that does not move up or down. Maybe something inside the entire latch system is broken or bent? Or are the any suggestions to add on another lock(slidebolt) to the inside? I like to use the camper soon but gotta have a working lock!!
Mary Lynn K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
On ours (year 2000) the door is flat and has a double lock on it. On the so-called "Anniversary" model this was presented as a security enhancment. I would think that they changed the door and lock for this, so it would help to know what year and what kind of door yours has.

The very poor picture is a severe crop, so it is fuzzy, but it shows how the lock looks from the inside. This is a pretty standard RV door, so if yours is like this one perhaps the lock could be exchanged for this type (?). It has a separate deadbolt built in.
Attached Thumbnails
Inside_lock_detail.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My WB also has the flat door. I never had an issue with the regular lock, but the cut out in the door frame is pretty tight, so if the trailer is even slightly off level, the deadbolt wont seat.

I am not one for getting the level down to the millimeter, so I actually turned the strike plate around so it allows for more of the lower cut out to be exposed, thus letting the deadbolt engage at almost any position the trailer is in.

A trailer place also fixed the off center hinges. If yours has the flat door, these things could be contributing, tho I don't know why it is only on from the inside on yours.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
My Burro does not lock from the inside either. The small balck latch seems to want to move up and down but does not. If you watch it while using the key from the outside, you will see that is exactly what it does. I've tried my standard "first response" of a shot of WD-40, but that didn't help. I firmed up all the screws and that didn't work. I thought about taking it apart, but was afraid I would make it worse and it wouldn't lock from the outside!!

We use "second response" - bungee cords!! I put one end around the door handle and the other on a knob around the corner on the inside!! I figure if anyone tries the door - we would at least be alerted and they would be startled by a loud thwack. Hasn't kept me from sleeping.
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974 and Burro 1986 17 ft Widebody
Quote:
My Burro does not lock from the inside either. The small balck latch seems to want to move up and down but does not. If you watch it while using the key from the outside, you will see that is exactly what it does. I've tried my standard "first response" of a shot of WD-40, but that didn't help. I firmed up all the screws and that didn't work. I thought about taking it apart, but was afraid I would make it worse and it wouldn't lock from the outside!!

We use "second response" - bungee cords!! I put one end around the door handle and the other on a knob around the corner on the inside!! I figure if anyone tries the door - we would at least be alerted and they would be startled by a loud thwack. Hasn't kept me from sleeping.
Per,Gina & Christie: Thank you for your suggestions. Per, your picture turned out just fine. My looks similar, but without the deadbolt. Gina, my door is flat also, and does lock fine from the outside even with the door not level. Christie, your reply is exactly what my door latch system is like. I will probably have to try your bungie cord idea and hook the other end to the toilet seat!!! I also added more RV info to the profile area under my name.
Mary Lynn K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro