Atwood furnace won't ignite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Atwood furnace won't ignite

I posted this issue back in April and still have the same problem. I have an Atwood furnace, electric ignition (no pilot light) model no. 7912-II that won't ignite when I follow the manual's procedure to start it up. Is there a common problem with these furnaces, such as replacing the thermostat, that they are prone to. I hardly ever used it. Is there anything I could check before I have it serviced?
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink problem?

I 4got to turn on my propane tanks once.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:51 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Does it light when you are on shore power. Make sure your battery is charged. It takes quite a bit of power to have fan, igniter and get the gas valve to turn on. After your know battery is good and gas is on, Check other appliances to make sure you have gas, Turn the thermostat on.
Listen close, 1) the fan will turn on 2) gas valve will turn on (no sound) 3)the igniter will work. Do you hear the igniter clicking? If not you need to purchase and replace it.
If yes, and it doesn't ignite, the igniter may not be positioned right or the gas valve is junk or for one reason or another not getting gas.
If you have a sight glass look to see if igniter is close to burner and if not get in there and ever so gently get it closer.

Good luck
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:27 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've got the same furnace in my 2010. I have had two problems.

Furnace does nothing. This turned out to be oxidation on the thermostat contacts. I use my furnace once or twice a year to take the chill off so I use a wire to bypass the thermostat. You might try a little contact cleaner on the contacts. If I used the furnace more often I would replace the thermostat.

Furnace comes on but does not fire. This one turned out to be a cold solder joint on the control board. Took a while to find but minutes to fix.

Hope this helps. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We apparently have a sticking gas valve on our Atwood furnace, so I remove the cover and tap the valve hard several times with a long screwdriver and small hammer. Then it works for the duration of our stay. It must stick when sitting in storage.
Kevin A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
What exactly is happening? As others mentioned there are a series of things that happen and need to happen to ignite. Depending on where yours is getting stuck, there are different things to check.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #7

you all are so very helpful on this and I intend to try everything you suggest. One variable that concerns me.....if the temp in the Trillium is really warm, say 85 degrees, does that affect the thermostats ability to kick the furnace on?

Thank you again for all your help

Lloyd
Old 08-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd cicetti View Post
you all are so very helpful on this and I intend to try everything you suggest. One variable that concerns me.....if the temp in the Trillium is really warm, say 85 degrees, does that affect the thermostats ability to kick the furnace on?

Thank you again for all your help

Lloyd
Yes, if the ambient is higher than the range of the thermostat nothing will happen. The thermostat is just a temperature sensitive switch.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #9

Thank you all for your help on this....thank god for this forum....I think Raz led me to the right solution...he said clean the contacts on the thermostat...didn't work....so I got a $23 heat only thermostat from an rv dealer half mile down the road and lo and behold!!!!!!!!!!! Boom..my blower went on immediately. I am good to go fellas...and thank you for your time and suggestions...

Lloyd in Ohio

Tags
furnace