atwood lp gas protector beeping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
atwood lp gas protector beeping

My LP protector was just fine yesterday while I worked my Trillium. The green light was on and flashing,,no beeps. Now when I have shore power on from the house, like yesterday, the green light comes on, then flashes, then goes amber, then beeps, as if there was a leak. I hit the test buttton, red light comes on, beeps louder, then when I release, the green light returns, then blinks, then amber again, and back to the same situation. There is propane in the tank but pretty low...could that be it? The burners on the stove light fine. No smell of gas at all in the egg.

the protector is 9 years old...does that mean it should be replaced?

Thanks, Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd cicetti View Post
My LP protector was just fine yesterday while I worked my Trillium. The green light was on and flashing,,no beeps. Now when I have shore power on from the house, like yesterday, the green light comes on, then flashes, then goes amber, then beeps, as if there was a leak. I hit the test buttton, red light comes on, beeps louder, then when I release, the green light returns, then blinks, then amber again, and back to the same situation. There is propane in the tank but pretty low...could that be it? The burners on the stove light fine. No smell of gas at all in the egg.

the protector is 9 years old...does that mean it should be replaced?

Thanks, Lloyd
They do have a limited life span. I’m not sure about the model you have, but that sure sounds like an “end of useful life” indicator/alarm. At 9 years of age, yes, it should be replaced.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There is a material inside the detector which degrades over time. It is necessary to have the detector work. As soon as you install the detector and hook it up to power, the material begins to degrade.
You need a new detector.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the one in my 2014 failed, stuck an identical (new) replacement unit in, hasn't beeped yet except for 'test' mode...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

You also need to do maintenance. Vacuum the face plate and wipe with a damp cloth.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
just ordered a new Atwood dectector from Amazon....it was actually 10 years old when I looked at the back of it. The orange light was on, which I found out means "replace". Thanks to all of you for the advice...I am very happy knowing it will be new. Can't mess with things like that. Thanks again.
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

When I replaced mine, there was a sticker on the back with date it was made. I had the RV shop call the distributor which is how I learned that the clock starts when you hook it up to electricity. I'd write the date you install on the back and on the instruction manual.