Austin, TX - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Austin, TX

Lynda and I are thinking of visiting friends in Austin this month. Any suggestions for campgrounds near Austin? Don't want to be more than one hour away. Thanks Still looking for sleeping bags.
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Emma Long Metropolitan Park ("City Park") is on the shores of Lake Austin and is nice if you don't need to use their showers. (The showers are at the swim beach, which isn't close to the camping, and I'm afraid the showers are COLD water. Not sure, but that's what I've heard.) They don't take reservations, but there's not much action this time of year. You should easily be able to get a site.

Other possibles that are a bit further afield are: Lake Georgetown (Jim Hogg or Cedar Breaks - both Corps of Engineers parks); McKinney Falls State Park, Bastrop SP, or Granger Lake (another COE park). There is also Inks Lake SP, but you're getting further out than an hour there; and there is Pedernales Falls SP, but I don't have first hand knowledge of the camping set up there.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #3

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2009 Eggcamper 17
Texas
Pedernales Falls is nice, stayed there about two months ago. Not much view from the sites but short hike to overlook of the Falls and down to the river. Think it took us just over an hour to get there.
indigowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
There are a couple RV parks right in town that are about a mile or so from downtown. We looked at them for last March, but it was the same time as a big music festival, so everything was taken. One is Pecan Grove on Barton Springs Road, right by the river for canoeing and kayaking, and the other is MidTown RV Park, east of the interstate. We didn't stay at either, but they looked good and the people were nice on the phone.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I could be wrong, but I don't think Pecan Grove ever has vacancies. Most sites are taken by full-timers.

I would want to know about security at MidTown RV Park before I would consider it. It may be okay - I had never heard of it before - but situated between Airport Blvd and E. 7th Street, it may not be very quiet, and it may not be very secure.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It kind of depends on what side of town your friends are on. Traffic, believe it or not can be a pain in Austin. If you want to be on the North side try Oak Forest RV Park. Reasonable with the Passport America discount. It does fill up when there are events in Austin though. On the south side there is Austin Lone Star RV right on I-35S. It's not fancy, but nice people. If RV parks aren't your cup of tea, definitely consider any of the nearby State Parks like McKinney Falls (south Austin) or Pedernales Falls (west of Austin), both very cool.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Austin

Austin TX has two Passport Parks in the $20 range. We stayed at Oak Forest ans Ginny has favorable comments in our log.

Of course TX state parks are always a fine choice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote