Auto start on SMEV stove not working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Auto start on SMEV stove not working

I just finished installing all the propane and checking for any leaks. It went fine and I didn't have to much problems except redoing on long line that I bent incorrect. The first thing I tried was the SMEV stove. I have the sink/ stove combo that was on another trailer awhile ago (I think he was re-doing the insides and selling the trailers.) I noticed that each burner has a projection that looks like it should be a self starter for the burner, but I tried holding it down, turning all the way, each way, and still no spark. I didn't know if anyone had one of these units and could set me straight on how to do it, or what's wrong. I didn't see any indication that it need a power source hooked up. Thanks
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #2

Registry
Here are a couple images of the stove
1st one is top shot of unit
2nd one is showing part that sticks out, that I think is spark starter
3rd is showing bottom of one burner and wires going to spark starter.
Attached Thumbnails
P1040902.JPG   P1040905.JPG  

P1040906.JPG  
Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I am just guessing, but it looks like you should turn on the propane with the knob and then push down on the knob to get your spark.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Here are a couple images of the stove
1st one is top shot of unit
2nd one is showing part that sticks out, that I think is spark starter
3rd is showing bottom of one burner and wires going to spark starter.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Danny, We have a dometic which I think is SMEV. To ignite a burner you rotate a knob while pressing it in and then press a rocker switch to activate the ignition. The knob must be pressed for a few seconds until a safety thermal couple is heated up otherwise the gas shuts off. The installation manual doesn't mention it but the unit does require 12v. for the ignitor. From your picture I don't see a piezo electric ignitor so I would bet you will need a 12v. connection. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #5

Registry
Raz, If I need a 12 volt connection, I'm not sure where I would install the wires. I can't see anyplace on the bottom were they would be placed.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Hi Danny,

I don't believe your cooktop has the starter feature. I have an SMEV cooktop with the 12v starter and it actually has 2 projections up by the burner. One that looks like yours and another white one which is where the spark arc comes from when pressing the igniter button.

I'm guessing the one you see is some kind of thermocouple designed to keep the gas from flowing for too long if the burner isn't lit. Looking at your pictures it appears that it's connected to the gas valve which makes sense.

Russ
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I should have looked a little closer. I think Russ is correct. Time to by an aim-n-flame. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #8

Registry
RussL, you are correct. I looked at the instructions again and noticed that a spark starter button would be next to the two burner button, which I don't have. When I did start it, I did notice you had to hold the burner button down until it got warm, so the projection being a thermocoupler is correct. Thanks for the help. I'm not to bummed out as I got the unit cheap.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
We have a dometic which I think is SMEV.
Dometic, a Swedish company, purchased the Italian manufacturer SMEV. The SMEV stoves are now used in some Airstream models. You could try contacting Dometic for support or an RV repair shop that services Airstreams. An alternative is to contact a marine service shop as these stoves were originally used on boats. Good luck!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I think what you are looking at is the flame sensor.
Piezoelectric [igniters are optional], but the SMEV is Italian made and meets Euro standards.
Much more intense and efficient.
Here is a picture of the one we installed in "Shelly" {one of our rehab projects}.....
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 022.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote