AuTOWbrake controller installation help - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft ('Lillypod')
AuTOWbrake controller installation help

Hi, I'm picking up a new to me '96 Scamp 16 layout 6, and wonder if anyone has wired an Autowbrake controller in a Scamp. Wondering where the best place is to splice it into the Scamp's wiring. I'm a wiring novice, and know nothing about electrical systems, other than connecting blue to blue, etc. Does the Scamp have a junction box in addition to the converter panel?? Thanks.
Aaron Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:37 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Cohen View Post
Hi, I'm picking up a new to me '96 Scamp 16 layout 6, and wonder if anyone has wired an Autowbrake controller in a Scamp. Wondering where the best place is to splice it into the Scamp's wiring. I'm a wiring novice, and know nothing about electrical systems, other than connecting blue to blue, etc. Does the Scamp have a junction box in addition to the converter panel?? Thanks.
No junction box.. the umbilical goes into the trailer and is connected to the wiring inside, in my case using wire nuts. If I were putting in a AuTWObrake I would also install a junction box. Might put it outside, but maybe inside is better if there is room. I understand that the AuTOWbrake can be installed inside also (if there is room). The junction box should make for better connections and make it easier to replace the umbilical cord when it becomes necessary (and it will sooner or later).

Here is a generic Scamp wiring diagram but I caution you to verify things since a trailer of that age could have all sorts of changes made. You might need on site help with that.

I'm not sold on the AuTOWbrake yet. I have a few concerns, one of which is based on my assumption that it uses the trailer battery to power the brakes. If that is right, and you don't have a charge line or for some other reason the battery gets depleted, then the brakes might fail. I'm sticking with my Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I'm not sold on the AuTOWbrake yet. I have a few concerns, one of which is based on my assumption that it uses the trailer battery to power the brakes. If that is right, and you don't have a charge line or for some other reason the battery gets depleted, then the brakes might fail. I'm sticking with my Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control.
Update: According to Evelands (Scamp), the AuTOWbrake controller does not in fact use the trailer battery. It still requires the power wiring (7-pin) from the tug for the brakes. So it does save you from having to run wiring into the passenger compartment, and maybe tapping onto the brake switch. It still seems to me that is still limited on power level adjustments.

If I had a tug pre-wired for a brake controller with a wring harness in the dash, I would never use the AuTOWbrake. But if I did not have that pre-wiring, I would consider it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote