Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Is a 10x10 awning too big for a 13 foot boler? My last homemade awning of that size was a failure b/c the fabric i chose was too heavy. The tarp pole/peg system couldnt hold it. Now i have a lightweight, waterproof, polyester of some type, possibly sunbrella (It is an old gazebo cover that my neighbor was throwing away) It is secured to the awning rail with a string of tent poles that fit into a rod pocket i had sewn in the edge. My concern is how to best secure the outside corners. I have the tarp poles, but have never liked having to stand them all up and peg them in place. I'm thinking about rigging up a support system of small pipes instead. Does anyone have any thoughts on or experience with this? I'd really like to make the 10x10work b/c i have a set of screen walls that size. thanks a lot
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: cyndi H... If I remember the smallest awning from Vintage Trailer Supply would fit our 13' Boler awning rail with just an 1 1/2" overhang on each end. I would have used the widest one 9' I think but if you look HERE you can see the sizes. Measure the length of the awning rail on your trailer...If you have one already on it!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cyndi, James Brannen posted a really neat DIY awning. Perhaps something in the topic will help answer your questions: Re-posting Inexpensive Awning DIY
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
We thought long and hard about an awning and decided on using a Pop up instead . They are less than $100. Last a Good while , on our 4th season. They are Portable , and you can put them were ever they are needed. There draw back is storage, if you are tight on space when transiting.
Just my 2 cents

Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Cyndi, James Brannen posted a really neat DIY awning. Perhaps something in the topic will help answer your questions: Re-posting Inexpensive Awning DIY
Thanks for refreshing my memory with that. I'd looked at it before but i am hesitant to attach anything to the shell. It does look the most stable and practical though, much more than those stupid poles and ropes. I wonder if PVC pipe poles would hold up a 10x10? I cant see why not. I may have to drill, but will do it as last resort. Maybe the flag pole holders can be staked to the ground alongside the bottom of the trailer and the pole edge could rest against the rim along the bottom of the shell? If they are staked securely they may be ground attached as strong as being screwed in to the trailer. I will post pics of the final answer
Old 02-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
We thought long and hard about an awning and decided on using a Pop up instead . They are less than $100. Last a Good while , on our 4th season. They are Portable , and you can put them were ever they are needed. There draw back is storage, if you are tight on space when transiting.
Just my 2 cents
Thanks for that. I bought a pop up last year but it was way too cheap looking to use. Nice lightweight aluminum frame but shiny brown tarp top. I still have it though and will try and re-use the pole support system on my 'new' gazebo awning. (which is tan and brown too btw- I am planning on seeing if it can be dyed or specialty painted later as it does not look ideal with a yellow trailer.) Who knows, by the time i get it done the way i want it i may not care about color anymore. i'm digging out the poles today!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	2264__640x427_.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	26202

Here is an 8X10 awning being set up on our 13 ft Boler. Three upright poles across the front with three tension poles as roof rafters and poles supporting the front edge. The screen is cut from a 10X10 screen room. I added a 1/4x1 1/2 inch bolt at each corner to support the horizontal poles and the centre one is held under tension with a rubber foot from a chair leg against the trailer. Hope that you can make sense of this.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Attachment 26202

Here is an 8X10 awning being set up on our 13 ft Boler. Three upright poles across the front with three tension poles as roof rafters and poles supporting the front edge. The screen is cut from a 10X10 screen room. I added a 1/4x1 1/2 inch bolt at each corner to support the horizontal poles and the centre one is held under tension with a rubber foot from a chair leg against the trailer. Hope that you can make sense of this.
That's what i'm going for! Do the roof supports run the length of the trailer or the other way? What are they made of? Tent poles? thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Three ridge poles running from the trailer to the verticle tent poles and smaller poles supporting the front edge. I made each of the three ridge poles from two interconnecting sections of aluminum and a length of expandable curtain rod to give it some tension. The tie downs are ratchet straps connected to those twist in dog anchors with a heavy duty spring attached. This allowes some movement in windy condition and speedy adjustment.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote