Awning care problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #1

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Angry Awning care problem

The last time we used our awning [~a week ago] it was pouring buckets raining when we broke camp. I didn't see the couple of leaves on the topside, before I rolled it up. Now we have brown stains from the leaves that were on the awning when we rolled it up. Is there a way to safely remove the stains from the vinyl? Grrr.

I did a search and found someone who recommended dilute bleach solution, but that seems harsh.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 PM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
A friend of mine use to make awnings and always told me soap & water was the best thing for cleaning.

Dan
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A rust stain is an iron based stain, a leaf stain is also an iron based stain.

What works best for removing rust stains is oxalic acid. However because it is an acid it won't be very kind to the threads used to stitch details on the awning, the vinyl surface is not so much of an issue for harm as those lines of stitching. Threads are also the first things to deteriorate from UV damage, the weakest link in the product.

Oxalic acid is in typically in products made to clean rust stains off of vinyl siding and plastic shower stalls. It is sometimes found in a not overly concentrated solution used for marine vinyl cleaning on boats. That would be the best source to look for a cleaner that removes rust stains from vinyl as there are often outdoor marine vinyl surfaces on boats and rust is also an issue in those situations. Those types of surfaces also have stitching on them. So focus your search with products made for marine use for the best chance of finding one that will do the least harm.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:18 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
I've had very good luck getting tough stains out of our awning with Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Give that a shot.

And if that does not work, Fantastik works well.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Bar Keepers friend is a good source of oxalic acid.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Maryland
There is a product called "Iron Out" that you can use in your laundry if you high iron in your well water. This maybe a good application. I have found that clothes have been know to be died using iron. Probably a good idea to do the test thing. Hope it helps. Doug
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning