Awning fell off new 17' fiberglass unit-Advice - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #61

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
What do you mean it fell off????? Do you mean the bolts loosened to the point that they fell off? That has to be what you mean.
If that’s the case then get more nuts and bolts and put it back on. Done
camden.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #62

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by camden.mike View Post
What do you mean it fell off????? Do you mean the bolts loosened to the point that they fell off? That has to be what you mean.
If that’s the case then get more nuts and bolts and put it back on. Done
Did you actually read all the posts in this thread or just the heading !!?

EVIDENTLY NOT
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #63

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Did you actually read all the posts in this thread or just the heading !!?

EVIDENTLY NOT
Apparently only the heading as post #1 states it was riveted and post #26 has a photo of the rivets
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #64

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by camden.mike View Post
If thatís the case then get more nuts and bolts and put it back on. Done
If you check out the whole thread, you will see from pictures that awning was not held on by any bolts. There where 4 pop rivets that where supposed to do the job and failed miserably. IMHO woefully inadequate to the task.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #65

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2013 Casita Independence
Somerset California
Casita awning mounting

To the best of my knowledge, factory installed awnings on Casita were all attached to the fiberglass with four pop rivets at each of the three adapter brackets. I just installed a Fiamma awning myself on our Casita. The adapter brackets purchased new from Casita were pre-drilled for 3/16" pop rivets. I went ahead and attached ours by through bolting brackets to trailer with carriage bolts supplied by Fiamma. I did use a pop rivet at each of the two upper extra support brackets but used large tri-fold pop rivets.
Tahitidoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #66

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Maybe Casita would rather have pop rivets fail in the wind, than have bolts rip a section of the hull out. A designed in fuse to prevent hull damage. They said the awning will blow off in the wind.

It seems ridiculous, but maybe it is planned that way. And since they said it would happen, apparently it's not their fault?
Old 09-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #67

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The OP had pictures of two mounting brackets, not three.
Perhaps Casita failed with the mounting fuses and used pop rivets instead of duct tape?
If the pop rivets were intended to fail to protect the fiberglass they should never have mounted the awning in the first place as the fiberglass is far to weak to survive life on the road.
The mounting should be sturdy enough that the mickey mouse awning arms would break off in the wind.
Obviously Casita screwed up on the design and execution of the awning mounting and they at least included a third bracket with the one that they sold, but then they provided rivets to attach it with no backing.
I assume that they want to mount the awning where the ends of the rivets will be "hidden" under the Refectex and rat fur.
Not a peep from Casita on this?
How many have had the awnings blown off of Scamps?
The Fiamma awnings are not exceedingly strong with the spring loaded arms etc, but the case hasn't dropped off of mine and the wind has blown and the canvas has flapped.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #68

Trailer: 17' Casita
After reading this post for a few days, I decided to go look at the awning on my Casita. Casita has been installing these awnings forever, and this is the first failure of this kind that I'm aware of. Casita uses pop rivets for "everything".

Looking at the installation on mine, I think the failure was with the silicone, not the rivets. Mine has a high silicone shoulder all around, and over the top of the brackets. If you have ever tried to remove silicone, you know it's tough.

That's what holds the awning on. I think the rivets are used for initial installation, and then the silicone is liberally applied. Looking at the pictures, there doesn't appear to be near as much silicone on his. Still a manufacturing failure, and Casita should step up and fix it.

Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #69

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy J View Post
... I think the failure was with the silicone, not the rivets. ... That's what holds the awning on. ...
I don't think that the silicone is the primary attachment method. If it is, I am going to have to question everything I know abut physics and mechanics.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:04 AM   #70

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I don't think that the silicone is the primary attachment method. If it is, I am going to have to question everything I know abut physics and mechanics.

Well, we know pop rivets don't work. That appears the only other option with Casitas.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #71

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy J View Post
Well, we know pop rivets don't work. That appears the only other option with Casitas.
All we know is that rivets didn't work in this one case. Perhaps the installer simply grabbed a smaller rivet size in error, than what has been used on other other units.

The sad part is that apparently Casita is not interested in finding out the cause here.. was it their error, owner's error, act of god, etc. IMHO they should do at least a little investigation.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:45 AM   #72

Florida
Slathering more sealer on the bracket will not affect the bond.
If Casita is depending on silicone sealer for the attachment then things are worse than I thought!
So far only silence from Rice, Texas.
No backer plates inside the shell and pop rivets is not adequate and the reason is evident in the pictures, the fiberglass is not sandwiched between the plate and the bulged part of the pop rivet. The bulge is swelled inside the fiberglass and you can see the crumbling of the material as it pulled out. The fiberglass has failed around the mounting holes and had no retaining strength.
Are there only two brackets on this installation?
Are the others installed with longer pop rivets so that they would not pull out as easily?
Pop rivets are not proper for this installation as they are not particularly well suited for pulling out, but rather for being installed in shear and not particularly that, either.
Plus only 8 holding a fairly high load is ridiculous and saying the mounting is really made with silicone sealer rather than any mechanical a non-starter.
If they were bonded there is no bonding other that the edge sealer around the spacer plates next to the polished fiberglass shell. Polished and buffed before installation.
I guess when you buy a Casita with an awning you are really buying a partially assembled kit where the buyer is required to finish the installation with large internal washers and hardware.
Pitiful, really...
Old 09-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #73

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Temporarily cover the holes in the body with No-Residue Duct Tape. You can leave it on for months, in the cold, rain and hot sun and it WILL come off and leave NO residue behind. I wouldn't use any caulking or tape where the color may run in the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
DuctTapeNoResidue.JPG  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #74

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the Market
Missouri
Thank You to the OP for starting this thread. It has been very informative. I am in the market for a FG camper. it is sad to hear the treatment you received from the brand that you bought. I have owned 5 different airplanes over 40 years and have never experienced a rivet failure, even on an aerobatic plane capable of +8 / -5 G's. ..
beerster69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #75

I wonder why the OP hasn't shared this failure on the three Casita Facebook pages, as well as Casita Forum. I'm a member of all, and haven't seen anything. I'm pretty sure Jonathan from Casita is a member of Casita Owners of America FB page. The more exposure this failure gets, the better.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #76

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
From a former Aircraft Repairman.
The rivets in An aircraft hold multiple metal items together and are not pop rivets.
The pop rivet on that fiberglass has no backing and they shatter the fiberglass and pull out.

Suggestion:
Tell them you will Contact the National Highway Traffic Safety administration about the problem.

Could be that their attachment method could present a traffic safety situation.

That Is what I told one of these manufacturers I was going to do then they decided to correct a Different situation for me.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #77

Florida
They might as well have used THIS:

to hold it on.

No matter as it was the owner's fault. He bought the Casita, foolishly thinking it was well constructed and had a warranty that the manufacturer would stand behind.

So this foolishness cost him the enjoyment of a long anticipated trip and the anguish of discovering that the gem he expected was not to be.

What irritates me (not having a dog in this fight) is that Casita has not responded other than to say.....

Oh well, expectations are made to be an aspiration and not a guarantee.

Please check your bank accounts because I have deposited the exact cash value of a Casita warranty in each...(the same as a --- well never mind I don't want to be expelled for a political rant. Insert snarky political rant here)
Old 09-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #78

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hmmm... Thousands of Casitas on the road, hundreds of members on the forum, 77 posts with not one report of a similar random failure. At least one person reported his also has rivets, so this is presumably not a departure from the normal installation method.

I can think of three possible explanations: (1) a mass conspiracy by Casita owners to conceal awning failures, (2) an installation defect on this particular unit (wrong size rivets, perhaps, or improperly pulled rivets; I refuse to believe the quantity of silicone has anything to do with it), or (3) environmental conditions (perhaps an earlier gust of wind loosened the rivets).

I'm going to categorically rule out #1. If you are absolutely certain than #3 did not occur, that leaves #2.

Either way I would reinstall it (as many have suggested) with SS bolts, washers, and locknuts. If there was any damage to the awning itself, I would also get that fixed. If you are certain it was an installation defect, document the time and cost and continue to pursue a remedy from Casita. Posting on the Casita forum is a great suggestion, along with additional e-mails to Casita. Keep the pressure on.

But do get out and use the trailer. Things like this leave a bad taste, which a good dose of travel will wash away.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #79

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
... Perhaps the installer simply grabbed a smaller rivet size in error, than what has been used on other other units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...(2) an installation defect on this particular unit (wrong size rivets, perhaps,...
G M T A (Round two!)
Old 09-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #80

Name: Bobby
Trailer: In the market
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairBobbyB View Post

I will contact our sales person at Casita to inquire HOW ours was (or should have been) attached...
According to Casita Service/Support, "Our awnings have always been riveted on, not bolted. If you would like to call us for more information on why we do it that way, you can contact us at 800-442-9986.".

Based on their track record, I am confident they do it this way for a reason (and not to be cheap or to cut corners). That said, nothing on the Casita is totally infallible, and I bought ours expecting to occasionally have to replace hardware (in fact I already have replaced a failed latch). But if my awning disconnected at the fasteners, I too would be justifiably upset.
MontclairBobbyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning