Awning fell off new 17' fiberglass unit-Advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Reinstall the awning with stainless steel bolts and washer and elastic stop nuts. This is not where rivets should be used in fiberglass (if anywhere, really).
The Scamp people install the awning with some nice big bolts and washers with lots of sealant. I have no worries about it falling off.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Sorry for the problem and even more so for the mfr’s failure to be of assistance. If you’re anywhere close to Raleigh, I’d suggest giving Barnes Collision in Zebulon a call. They’re primarily an auto body shop but also do trailer repairs and are really good with fiberglass (Corvettes). I’ve been well satisfied with work they’ve done on my Scamp.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #23

Florida
How much damage was done? Pictures?
Can it just be reattached?
Do you need someone to call Casita and explain the situation in terms that they can understand?
Old 09-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #24

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I would post the name of the trailer, the model and manufacture date, and any relevant pictures on every fiberglass forum that you are on. You are not going to win this battle alone.

Most makers monitor social media, and the more hell you can raise the better they respond.

Been there, done that. Had my fridge replaced by Dometic once my trailer maker got involved, part of mass action that had every owner of that model get a new fridge despite whether or not their warranty had expired.

It can be done!
Agreed ! Yes it can ! Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you read this or other similar forums you soon discover that many of the people who purchase FG trailers have little or no mechanical knowledge or skills.
What seems like an easy repair to many is a daunting task to others.
What is really sad about this statement other than it is true is that people with little or no mechanical knowledge or skills enjoy RVing as much as those who do and deserve to have a relatively trouble free product and if they do encounter problems, should be able to get repairs made without an unnecessary hassle and without getting ripped off.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #26

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita 2020 FD
North Carolina
Here are a couple of pictures, both of where the awning was attached on the trailer and the brackets as still attached to the awning. Please note, the fiberglass seen inside one bracket was an insert added for some reason, this is not the trailer's fiberglass as usually is found under the gel coat.

Your comments appreciated.

Thanks,

flyrodjoe
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5424 (2).jpg   IMG_5425.jpg  

IMG_5396.jpg   IMG_5395.jpg  

flyrodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #27

Florida
Just put it back on using stainless steel bolts and large SS washers and elastic stop nuts. Not enough damage to worry about.
Very poor application of pop rivets, very poor. I mean VERY poor decision to use pop rivets in fiberglass for this.
Real fasteners will hold it just fine.
Seal the area around the holes under the brackets with a good sealant and put it together with it wet. Remove the caulking that what was holding the awning on and replace with (a good sealant).
I have a hard time believing that anyone who installed this really thought that it would stay on.
Whatever else they have mounted the same way needs to be refastened with real hardware as well.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
At least it is an easy fix. If it were mine I would make a backer plate for the inside of the trailer and paint it the same color as the interior made from 1/16th aluminium or thicker if you wish. drill out your old rivets and drill through the holes into your new backer plate. I would rough up the gel coat outside the trailer inside the old putty well. I would sand the back of the shim that fell off then put on a liberal coat of 3M 5200. put the bracket back up and through bolt through the shell, inner liner and your new backing plate sandwiching it all back together. use fine thread stainless steel screws and new stainless steel locking nuts. put sealer under the heads of the bolts and there should be no leaks. this will be a pretty much a permanent fix as the 5200 will permanently adhere to the shell. it takes a fine piano wire in a sawing motion to separate the 2 pieces once its bonded. bummer you will have patches inside the shell but its the right way to do it. make sure you have nothing sticking down to hang your head on.
could cut your inner liner and cover it all up afterword but not knowing what you have inside who knows.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #29

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
At least it is an easy fix. If it were mine I would make a backer plate for the inside of the trailer and paint it the same color as the interior made from 1/16th aluminium or thicker if you wish. drill out your old rivets and drill through the holes into your new backer plate. I would rough up the gel coat outside the trailer inside the old putty well. I would sand the back of the shim that fell off then put on a liberal coat of 3M 5200. put the bracket back up and through bolt through the shell, inner liner and your new backing plate sandwiching it all back together. use fine thread stainless steel screws and new stainless steel locking nuts. put sealer under the heads of the bolts and there should be no leaks. this will be a pretty much a permanent fix as the 5200 will permanently adhere to the shell. it takes a fine piano wire in a sawing motion to separate the 2 pieces once its bonded. bummer you will have patches inside the shell but its the right way to do it. make sure you have nothing sticking down to hang your head on.
could cut your inner liner and cover it all up afterword but not knowing what you have inside who knows.
That is a substantial fix and one I would not hesitate to use if mine . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #30

Florida
You could wrap the backing plates or washers with some of the same "Rat Fur" that Casita uses with a stainless washer to match the nut to keep from buggering up the fabric.
Perhaps Casita would pitch in some fabric since they did such a crappy job of building the thing. Maybe some school paste as well.
I just sent Casita an email asking what they are going to do about this poor workmanship and design failure referencing this thread.
I apologize to the original poster and new owner, but this is blatantly wrong.
https://casitatraveltrailers.com/contact/
Evidently I an not very well socialized and unable to follow directions.
I think that Casita should load a repairman up with tools and parts and drive to North Carolina and fix their obviously poorly built trailer and awning.
If enough of us contact them they might just do the right thing
Old 09-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #31

Florida
It would be easier to do it right than drive halfway across the country to fix the awning installation, but if they have to do it a few times they will do a better job.
The awning costs probably over $1000 so one could expect that it is installed properly.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #32

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
I had 2 pop rivets fail on my new 2017 Casita, but the most aggravating mfg. defect was a mystery leak that seemed to start under the sink and eventually flow out to the bottom of the closet. New buyer should connect to city water first thing without using the pressure reducer, then check for leaks. If it won't take that, it won't last.

Discovered the source of the leak when I went to put on a pair of shoes, and they were wet and moldy. The leak came from a defective pex tubing crimp at the back of the sink.

Was able to use a wire cutting "nipper" to crimp the new piece of tubing. Would have been nice if they had left more slack in the water line. Installed a new piece, now all OK.

My gripe with the awning is the gap between it and the trailer body. Leaves catch in it, and rain just flows through. Will keep some foam tubing around to stuff into the gap. At pickup, should try to chin yourself on the awning. If it falls off, reject. Before making deposit, specify the pound test of the awning.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:28 PM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Just put it back on using stainless steel bolts and large SS washers and elastic stop nuts. Not enough damage to worry about.
Very poor application of pop rivets, very poor. I mean VERY poor decision to use pop rivets in fiberglass for this.
Real fasteners will hold it just fine.
Seal the area around the holes under the brackets with a good sealant and put it together with it wet. Remove the caulking that what was holding the awning on and replace with (a good sealant).
I have a hard time believing that anyone who installed this really thought that it would stay on.
Whatever else they have mounted the same way needs to be refastened with real hardware as well.
Yep. Exactly.

Pop rivets holding the awning on? What? Absolutely the wrong fastener for such a high stress connection. And especially right into fiberglass. Sheesh. That had to fail, and I wonder how many they have done this way.

I hope the OP sends these pix to Casita. And I hope Casita knows they have been posted here.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:37 AM   #34

Florida
I sent Casita a link to this thread yesterday so they should be aware of the problem today sometime. I suggest that if people are concerned about the issue that follow the link to the Casita contact page and pile on for effect.
Manufacturers need to be responsive to their customers.
Without a doubt this is not the first awning that has fallen off with the very poor engineering practice and workmanship evident from the pictures.
One would not expect the awning to stay on with 8 pop rivets and caulking holding it on.
Lets all contact Casita to get this done!
If you own a Casita with a factory installed awning I suggest that you replace the pop rivets before your next trip.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #35

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
question to other Casita owners

Odd that no other Casita owners have posted this problem.

Other Casita owners, look at these photos. Is this how your awning is attached?

This flaw could cause damage, but more importantly someone could get hurt from falling awning!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #36

Florida
Casita has just announced a $2000 price increase. I emailed and asked if that included bolting on the awning

Jonathan@casitatraveltrailers.com

I got an answer back saying if left out the wind would blow it off. I guess it is designed to be sacrificial to protect, well nothing.
I can see a wind damaging the awning, but not ripping the thing clean off.
As fragile as these awnings are having it pull off is inconceivable.

Email the guy and let him know what you think.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #37

Florida
1 of 5,584
Pricing on Casita
Inbox
x

Jeter Barron
8:14 AM (14 minutes ago)
Jonathan How much more to properly bolt on the awning? https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...-2.html#post79

Jonathan Willis
8:20 AM (9 minutes ago)
to me

I’m not sure what your asking?? It is installed properly but if leave it out when its windy it will get ripped off.

Jeter Barron
8:23 AM (6 minutes ago)
to Jonathan

Look at the pictures. This installation is horrible as the pop rivets are not sufficient for the task and the main thing holding it on is the caulking. As the shell flexes it will work the pop rivets loose as this one did in less than two weeks!
Ask any engineer if this would pass muster. As an engineer (aerospace) I can tell you that this is inadequate by any measure.
--
J.D. Barron

Jeter Barron
8:27 AM (1 minute ago)
to Jonathan

I wonder about the awning fastening fastenings ripping out before the awning is damaged as flimsy as these things are. This is poor design and workmanship and should be corrected ASAP.
You should be ashamed of selling something as poorly designed and executed as this.
--
J.D. Barron
Old 09-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #38

Name: Dayton
Trailer: NA
Georgia
FYI: I own a Scamp with the same awning. It is bolted on.
docarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #39

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by docarter View Post
FYI: I own a Scamp with the same awning. It is bolted on.
Of course it is as any competent installer would do it.
That makes it m ore likely that Casita had made a mistake and should stand behind their workmanship issue and repair the trailer.
Pop rivets are not and never have been up to the task.
According to Casita I guess that they expect their awnings to fall of if the wind blows.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #40

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If enough of us contact them they might just do the right thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I hope the OP sends these pix to Casita. And I hope Casita knows they have been posted here.
I emailed Jonathan Willis, attached the photos, and included a link to this thread.

Ultimately, the owner should be able to make an effective repair as it appears there is no significant damage to the fiberglass shell.

However it is also clear from the photographs that the awning was not adequately attached.

I believe that it is inappropriate that Casita is not stepping up the plate here.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning