Awning for 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 73 13 ft Boler / 2004 Toyota Corolla
Send a message via MSN to Robin H
Hello All,
Wondering what ideas everyone has for an awning. This will be my first summer camping with my 'new' boler and sure wished it came with one. I am also sure that I can't afford one and wondering what other alternatives there are.

Can anyone help? Pics would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Robin
Robin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For DIY and inexpensive, I really like James Brannen's:
Re-posting Inexpensive Awning DIY

He reposted the info, because we lost the original in the hack
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
I have a red easy-up awing, a 10x10. I can set it up over the picnic table or over the trailer door.

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Someone, maybe Gina, put some of us on to a screened tent from Walmart last summer. It worked great for our Burro. It was as big as the Burro and sat over the door. Kept out the bugs and gave us an extra room. And only cost 35.00.

CindyL
Old 03-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Thanks for the re-re post Donna.
This is a definite winner that's going to get a lot of attention
Especially mine.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I made a less formal awning than James Brannen's design, but similar.

I took a 10x10 cheap poly tarp and laced a piece of PVC pipe to one edge -- I then tied a U of light rope near the two ends of the pipe -- I tied another light rope to the center of the U -- To set up, I lay the tarp, pipe and U alongside the egg and throw the other rope over across the egg, go to the other side and pull the U up, securing the center of it to the wheel well or wheel with a bungee -- Using a pole or gripper-grabber or whatever, I spread the U so it is behind my rear hatch and in front of my forward hatch -- Now the tarp is laying against the egg on the side.

I get out two adjustable aluminum dining fly poles that I salvaged from alongside a CG dumpster after a weekend rainstorm (or one can buy replacement adjustable poles at camping stores, Wally, etc.) and set them up at the tarp corners, using stakes and lines (or tying to stuf in the CG), with the back corner slightly lower than the front corner and the egg so water drains to that corner and doesn't puddle in the tarp.

I carry the tarp, rolled around the tent poles and PVC on top of my pickup truck, but it could also be lashed underneath the egg -- The bundle can be shortened by cutting the PVC and using connectors to hold it together (in which case I would advise making a W rather than a U of rope to secure it).

The beauty of this arrangement is that it is not only dirt cheap, but if a serious wind comes up and blows it away, it's not only not a big loss (likely it won't blow far) but it's unlikely to do any damage to my egg -- The poles might scratch it or break a window, or a rope might get caught under a hatch lid and open or break it, but nothing is going to tear out of the fiberglass...

By changing the size of the tarp or the length of the PVC or where the U ends are tied to the PVC, I can vary a lot of coverage, including over the open door if I want to leave it open when the tarp is up for shade rather than rain. I have seen bag awnings in Canada long enough for four! tent poles to hold up outer edge. Poly tarps can be found in blue, green, brown and white, and heavier, more durable tarps can be found in other colors.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 73 13 ft Boler / 2004 Toyota Corolla
Send a message via MSN to Robin H
Thanks Pete - any chance you have a pic of your set up - Having trouble visualizing.

Thanks,
Robin
Robin H is offline   Reply With Quote