Awning Wand wanted - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Name: Eugene
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Awning Wand wanted

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have an awning wand for a Catalina 2500 by Dometic with which they are willing to part? It's my understanding that the manufacturer recently stopped making/inventorying them and ours is bent. Thanks for your help! Eugene

Eugene Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Use an appropriate sized phillips screwdriver with a long enough shaft to reach. I have used one for years and on my 13 it is much better than the wand.

If you want to make one, get a large wooden dowel (like a broom handle).
drill the end in the center and screw in a 1/4" wood screw with a good sized shoulder, leave the shoulder exposed and cut the head off the screw.

The original is made from an aluminum extrusion with a role pin inserted in one end.
If you could find a piece of solid aluminum stock, you could drill and tap the end and thread in a machine screw then cut off the head of the screw.

Another way would be to get a short piece of thinwall conduit and grind the plastic handle of a phillips screwdriver to fit snuggly into it, then simply cut the shaft and conduit to the desired length. You might even find a plastic handle to fit the end.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
As always, Floyd has some good ideas. I like the solid aluminum rod the best, but you could also use a roll pin in the end. Maybe even a broom handle with a roll pin or screw in the end. I have a metal lathe which makes it real easy to drill a hole in the end of a rod. If you have a machinist shop or fabricating shop near you they may have aluminum rod to make you a new part. Maybe McMaster Carr has aluminum rod. Our Casita has that Catalina 2500 awning.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #4

North Carolina
Thanks for your help Floyd, I will look at these options a little more closely over the weekend. Really appreciate your input (and your follow-up Mary and Bob)!
Old 06-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #5

North Carolina
Oops, I may have posted to Mary and Bob's message - rookie mistake!
Thanks for your help - really appreciate you taking the time to weigh in!
Old 06-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Plenty of options to buy aluminum rod doing a google search. I found 5/8" X 4 feet for $10. Where is your bent Eugene?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

IllAnnoy
Registry
OH! I forgot....
Maybe a threaded "I" bolt for the other end cut out to make a hook..if you need it to control the awning strap.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Britton View Post
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have an awning wand for a Catalina 2500 by Dometic with which they are willing to part? It's my understanding that the manufacturer recently stopped making/inventorying them and ours is bent. Thanks for your help! Eugene
This is on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Awnin...EAAOSw8nte3mkr
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #9

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijMichael View Post
That's pretty cool but the Catalina 2500 is not a crankout.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:54 AM   #10

Name: Al
North Carolina
I replaced our Catalina 2500 a couple of years back and think the wand may be around here somewhere. I'll take a look later today and you'd be welcome to it if it can be found. Where in NC are you located? We're between Rocky Mount and Tarboro so pickup may be an option.

Al
Al and Cindy K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #11

North Carolina
Wand follow-up

Thanks for all the input - sorry I went dark for a while; I drove down to Savannah for the weekend to see my Dad and didn't go online while I was there. Mary and Bob - mine is bent in about the middle, looks kind of like a parenthesis. Not sure how it happened - maybe it could be straightened. Al and Cindy, were you able to find your old one? If so, I would be interested in taking it off your hands. If you didn't have any luck, then there are some good options for making something that should work. Thanks again for all the input - so glad you let me join the group!
Eugene
Old 06-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #12

North Carolina
Found it.

Al
Old 06-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #13

North Carolina
Catalina 2500 wand

Al,
That's great news - thanks for making the time to look for it!
I'm in Asheville, but our son lives in Raleigh, although he's here now working from "home." I'd be happy to work out some arrangement for you to hold it for me until I can get that far east. Would you mind emailing me at eb@fisher-pa.com to discuss further? Thanks again!
Eugene
Old 06-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #14

North Carolina
Eugene, sometimes I get lucky. And no problem holding onto it until we get together. Sent you an email with my contact info.

Al
Old 06-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #15

North Carolina
Thanks, really appreciate that!
Old 06-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Britton View Post

I have mine for my scamp. Seldom get it out. As the previous guy says, a screw driver works at least as well. The wand thing is for when the camper is bigger and you can't reach the awning.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #17

North Carolina
Ray,
Thanks for your message - screwdriver (Phillips, I presume) sounds like a good go-to option. Appreciate your input!
Eugene

Tags
awning