Back to the jack - does this look good? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Back to the jack - does this look good?

I may need to call Scamp to get a definitive answer, but I thought I'd ask you folks first. Here's the jack I'm looking at ... Side-wind is the key for me.

Name:   jack.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  3.2 KB

Here's the specs:

Curt Trailer MFG. A-Frame Side-wind Jack

Has a heavy-duty, swiveling wheel, bolt-on hardware for easy installation, and a heavy-duty pull pin.

Capacity (lbs.): 2,000; Bracket Height: 9"; Travel: 14-1/2"; Wind: Side; Dimensions: 30 x 8-1/2" x 4-3/4"; Weight: 10.9 lbs.

So what do you all think? It's under $30. The used one is under $25.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Just make sure that the distance the non moveable tube extends below the mounting bracket is correct, they refer to it as bracket height.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
The brand Scamp used on mine was Atwood. Maybe you could look up the specs for Atwood and see how close they are.

I can't see any reason why that one wouldn't work. It has strong similarities to the Atwood. The triangle mount has mounting holes. Worse case, slight modification required. I did that to mine anyway so I could rotate it 60* so the handle wouldn't hit the tongue box.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Texas
Heh!!! One of the single most aggravating things about the jack on my Scamp 16, bought used, is that 3/4 of the label on the jack is torn off. It would probably tell me what I need to know.

Bob, I'll go measure my jack now. This new one says 9".

Well, no dice on height. The below mounting triangle height is 7 1/2 inches, the above mounting triangle is 9 1/2. Geez. what a PITA finding what I need is gonna be.

S.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The brand Scamp used on mine was Atwood. Maybe you could look up the specs for Atwood and see how close they are.
That makes sense, but Atwood makes these things in lots of sizes, so that won't help confirm that the proposed Curt unit will be the same length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Just make sure that the distance the non moveable tube extends below the mounting bracket is correct, they refer to it as bracket height.
I agree: measure the existing jack's bracket height - as well as the travel (how far it can extend to reach the ground - and compare it to the Curt dimensions.

The Curt describes - but doesn't show - a wheel. These jacks can also have a plain foot, which is much shorter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
........ Geez. what a PITA finding what I need is gonna be.

S.
Have you checked eTrailer?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #7

eTrailer, Eastern Marine, Harbor Freight... all the places that people who build their own trailer go, and normal people don't know exist!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #8

Texas
Atwood Trailer Jack - 273400

Capacity: 2000 lbs.
Lift: 14"
Clearance: 16" from mounting bracket to top of jack
7-3/4" bracket height
9" retracted height
23" extended height
2-1/4" outer tube diameter
2" inside diameter

This from etrailer. The bracket height seems about right, but I don't know about the rest. This is like buying shoes where 3 brands of 6-B all seem to fit differently.

S.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Don't want to muddy the waters but I did check the retracted length of my Atwood, without the wheel and it was more like 6"
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would say the retracted length is important for road clearance when traveling. I mentioned it because I had a problem with that one time, put jack on trailer then realized it stuck down too far. Detachable wheel would be best too, and they are not all the same as I found when trying to get a wheel for a jack I already had. There should be no problem if they are bought together. Another problem I've had with daughters pop up is when hitched to car he jack won't retract enough to get the wheel on. I have to uncouple, jack tongue up high, put a stand under tongue, retract jack, put wheel on, extend jack to remove stand, swing trailer into position. Repeat all that when leaving site. She goes to a campground where sites are paved and your not allowed to get wheels on the grass and she wants trailer sideways in the site.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #11

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
eTrailer, Eastern Marine, Harbor Freight... all the places that people who build their own trailer go, and normal people don't know exist!
Now this is funny.
Attached Images

gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
As Sharon reminds, sourcing replacement parts and hardware for our trailers presents some challenges. eTrailer is a reputable mail order retailer with an online catalog containing adequate description, specification, and photo illustration of all inventory as well as how-to video practicums.

The Eastern Marine Superstore in my area (mid-atlantic) is a brick and mortar warehouse of parts and running gear for travel, utility, camping and boat trailers as well as of recreational boating accessories and fresh and saltwater fishing gear and electronics. Again with a catalog in which specification of service, size, and all other distinguishing particulars are given adequate attention. And the on view inventory puts that of most Camping World locations in the shade.

Harbor Freight is Brookstone in a bad location, the inventory is unspecialized and limited only to what can be produced and sold for flea market change, from novelty wind chimes to monkey on a stick to some seriously heavy and seriously inadequate stationary machine tools and light industrial equipment. The four foot shelf of cargo nets, tie downs, stingers and couplers as well as the tinpot folding trailers and steel wheels do not qualify HF as a trailer supply house. Walmart stores in my area are nearly as good as HF for in store inventory. HF's catalogs and internet descriptions are barebones inadequate. Those who sleep with a greasy Grainger catalog as a pillow may find some light duty equipment and supplies for a price that doesn't pinch.

We spend a great deal of our time here advising the normal and neophytic on parts sourcing. I prefer not to encourage or allow the impression that these three retailers are all serious trailer supply operations, or conversely that none are.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
......from novelty wind chimes to monkey on a stick .........jack
I really like Harbor Freight and try to keep on top of what they sell. I haven't seen the monkey on a stick, yet. I'll look next time I'm there.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #14

Delaware
To give HF credit where credit is almost due, devoting an aisle to recognizably distinct mechanic trades (plumbing, electrical, auto-body repair) would make it a worthy competitor for some very expensive hardwares such as Ace/TruValue except that HF is all generic supplies, tools and fasteners and NO manufacturer-specific replacement parts. I much prefer Lowes, Home Depot or Ace for one stop shopping. I have some automotive tool sets from HF which have proved adequate for occasional use and some items which were unboxed and culled for completeness and functionality before purchase.

jack
Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
To give HF credit where credit is almost due, devoting an aisle to recognizably distinct mechanic trades (plumbing, electrical, auto-body repair) would make it a worthy competitor for some very expensive hardwares such as Ace/TruValue except that HF is all generic supplies, tools and fasteners and NO manufacturer-specific replacement parts. I much prefer Lowes, Home Depot or Ace for one stop shopping. I have some automotive tool sets from HF which have proved adequate for occasional use and some items which were unboxed and culled for completeness and functionality before purchase.

jack
So no review on the monkey on a stick?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #16

Delaware
Monkey On Stick didn't work for me. YMonkeyMV.

jack
Old 07-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #17

For clarification, I only noted the existence of three suppliers, all of which are frequently mentioned in various online forums. I didn't mean to suggest any endorsement any of them, as I have not dealt with any except as an online information source.

It is the buyer's responsibility to assess both the suitability of the product and the desirability of the retail supplier; Jack's post is valuable input to the choice of retailer. Of course, a specific product (such as a particular model of Curt or Atwood jack) is the same regardless of who sells it to you, so product choice and supplier choice are somewhat independent. If you choose an Atwood jack and Harbor Freight doesn't sell it, then I suppose you're not buying it from them; if more than one supplier has it, then you might buy from the cheapest one that will reliably deliver in a suitable time. If Harbor Freight only has junk, you might not want to buy it, because it's junk.

Just based on anecdotal reports and back-of-magazine ads, Harbor Freight certainly does sell some junk, as I'm sure most retailers do. If they don't have any good stuff, then it would make sense to ignore them entirely. I didn't mention Princess Auto because the request is from someone not in Canada; Princess Auto sells lots of stuff that could be described as junk, but they also sell name-brand products and a couple of levels of house-branded tools and equipment, the better line of which are pretty good, and even the lower line of which are suitable for many purposes. If I needed a trailer jack, I would certainly at least check at Princess Auto. I wouldn't want anyone to write off this retailer just because they have a cheap surplus stuff section.

There are, of course, many more suppliers. I only noted some of the suppliers who would not likely be familiar to someone who had so far dealt only with RV-oriented retailers. For trailer components that are not specific to RVs, this type of supplier may make more sense than an RV parts store; they typically have a wider range than more general stores (you can buy some trailer parts at Home Depot). Camping World will sell you a name-brand trailer tongue jack, probably as expensively as anyone on the planet, and they will do it online or in person (if there is one near you - there are none here). If you like dealing with them, they may be a good choice.

Many RV dealers use the same two or three distributors, and typically charge the same high suggested list price as each other... even higher than Camping World. Their web sites often link to the distributor's online catalog, or you can go to some of those catalogs directly, then shop at whatever RV dealer is handy, has stock, or offers a better price. For instance, GO-RV.com - RV On-line Catalog is the Coast Distribution catalog: Atwood side-wind A-frame tongue jacks are on page 506.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #18

Delaware
Brian's expanded comment is timely and well-reasoned.

jack
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
heres one with an 8" retracted heigth. make sure your existing foot or ball will fit or plan on those too.

Ultra-Tow A-Frame Side-Wind Jack — 3500-Lb. Capacity, 8in.H to 23in.H Lift Range, Model# 50000039 | Trailer Jacks| Northern Tool + Equipment
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #20

Texas
First of all, I want to say a hearty thanks to all who offered feedback.

I called Scamp this morning, spoke with two gentlemen, and neither could supply the part number of the Atwood jack used on their 16 footers. Furthermore, neither could verify my possible choices for a side-wind replacement. One said, the more knowledgeable one, that the Atwood model 273400 with a 14" extension would be too "short" an extension for my Scamp 16.

I decided to try one last ditch search effort here on the forums plugging in the Atwood model 273400 and BEHOLD, there was one reference!!!

Dan Jones made a post back in Sept. 2012 saying he bought this model for his layout 7 (which told me it was a 16-footer) and that it worked perfectly. I have sent him a private message asking if he needed Atwood's separately sold "extended foot" (adds about 6 inches extension to the 14") to make this work. Hopefully I will hear back from him.

Again, thanks all.

Sharon