Bag awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Name: garyc
Trailer: 1987 scamp 5th wheel
Florida
Registry
Bag awning

I have a 1987 scamp 5th wheel and I see people put awnings on them. Will a bag awning work?
garycoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #2

Name: garyc
Trailer: 1987 scamp 5th wheel
Florida
Registry
Also there is a change in the width so can you only go with a 8ft awning just up to the hinges of the door?
garycoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Most of the Scamp 19 awnings I have seen were not bag awnings and I imagine it is due mostly to the change you are talking about?
The awnings I have seen had large special brackets to stand them off the edge so the irregular surface was not in the way.

Call Scamp and ask them?

You may be able to hang an awning rail to the rear of the door and find a flat enough surface for it but I would want an awning that covers the doorway too if I were doing it.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a topic and pics by Christi V. (she's gone to the dark side) that shows a case awning on her Scamp 5th wheel. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-31873.html Because the front of the awning is on the flat portion of the nose, I don't know why you couldn't go even longer with this type of awning...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 2008
Scamp awning .. dometic Catalina 2500

It is the worst thing I have ever tried to take down in my 45 years of camping. Extremely sorry I bought this thing. Am now looking for something else!!!!
scouterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The above responses refer to case awnings, bag awnings slide into an awning rail, common on most pop ups- try looking there for some. I just installed a bag type awning on my EggCamper, but I do not leave it on while traveling. Either way, the mounting is the same, just a different type of awning.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've seen several scamps with bag awnings on them. If you want to leave it in place while traveling, I believe that you need to install a 'set screw' through it to keep the awning bag from sliding out while driving. If you already have a rail on your trailer, you need to make sure it is high enough above the door so the 'bag' part of it won't hang down and impede the open/closing of the door. My friend has a Scamp with a standard rope/pole awning and it is 7ft wide, I believe. You can measure your track length and order accordingly. I have seen 7ft bag awnings advertized (altho I think the 8fts are more common).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The above responses refer to case awnings, bag awnings slide into an awning rail, common on most pop ups- try looking there for some. I just installed a bag type awning on my EggCamper, but I do not leave it on while traveling. Either way, the mounting is the same, just a different type of awning.
I am not sure where you get this info but the mountings are not the same?
The Bag Awning relies on an Awning Rail which lays directly against the surface of the trailer to provide the Flat support it needs for the Awning mechanism inside the bag to operate.

The Case Awning relies on the fact that it is inside the hard case to provide the flat surface that the Bag Awning needs the trailer wall to provide.

They are fundamentally the same as they both require the awning to have a flat mounting surface but the case awning has its own flat surface.

So the original poster observes that the 19er does not have a flat surface suitable for a Bag Awning to lay flat for the entire lenth where you would want to place an awning.

This is why there are special brackets for a Case Awning to provide the "Stand Off" needed to allow a Cased awning to work along the length of the 19er.

These Stand Offs hold it up there away from the wall of the trailer so it can avoid the contour of the trailer and still be a rigid case.
They also let water flow when it rains between the trailer and awning but I have noticed that many case awning have this issue including mine.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
They are fundamentally the same as they both require the awning to have a flat mounting surface but the case awning has its own flat surface.
That's precisely why I put the link into Christi's topic. So the OP could see the challenges with even a bag awning. In order to cover the door, it needs to be mounted high enough, but then the way the Scamp 5er is built, you run out of "body" and are now mounting to the nose.

I only use my awning during sunny weather, because I'm looking for shade. Typically rain also means wind in the Pacific NorthWET and I don't use the awning when it's windy. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning