Ball Mount For a Bike Rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm not in favor of those hitch receiver extenders, nor am I a fan of putting bikes on the back bumper of trailers. (I'm not interested in reopening that discussion here.) Given my restraints and if I wanted to carry a bike, I wonder if this mount would do the trick. It needs the 2" ball mount type bike rack, but it doesn't seem to add to the length of the receiver.

Trick Ball Mount

I don't know if it comes in different drops so that might be an issue (I use a 6" drop for the F150 and my Casita without a lift kit. I use a 4" drop when I'm also carrying the ATV in the bed.)
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Boler
Talking

Different idea; would recommend caution when turning and reversing. Access to trailer crank, pickup box (rear bumper as a step) and vehicle trunk would be some what obstructed when an item is loaded.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I wish I had thought of this one!

Steve, one of the Yahoo Scampers had a rack made that attaches to his frame in front, spanning the LP and battery and holding the bike above them, but not very high. That would work for folks whose TV/Egg dimensions are wrong for this one.
Attached Thumbnails
bikerack.jpg  
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #4

Trailer: Perris Pacer 13 ft 1985 / 2002 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport
Hi Steve,

I have the same "bunk bed" hitch you mentioned. It's made (very well) by Valley Industries. I carry two bikes. The bike wheels just barely "kiss" the trailer when I turn wheels locked, tightest turn. I have a Rola rack. There are many types of bike racks, so it might be different. Also, I drilled a new hole through the square bike tube so that it went in as far as possible.

The crank sits inside of the mess and doesn't touch either bike... I got lucky. I had a panic moment when I first tried to put the hitch on and the crank was in the way... dang, didn't think of that! ...until I realized I could just change the truck's angle and bingo, slides right in.

Here are a couple pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeRack.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	17113

thx
Billy
Attached Thumbnails
BikeRack2.jpg  
rudock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Steve
that looks like something I may end up with. What drops do they have? I'm thinking mine is 2.5" but not sure.
Billy
Wondering about arrivals at campground. If I arrived at campground and was say spending one night and just needed truck to go to grocery or such, would I have to remove bicycles and all before trailer would come off?
Pete.... that one you show looks great except I'd have to figure out a way to weld or find somebody reasonable.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Most folks have found welding shops to be quite reasonable, esp when stuf is made from inexpensive angle stock.

One problem with a ball extender is that it extends the overhang (ball to rear axle distance) of the TV and increases the effect trailer sway has on the TV plus makes backing more difficult.

On my previous truck, I was surprised how much improvement in backing came from *shortening* the overhang by four inches!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
All I know is what the Northern Equipment ad tells us, which is practically nothing.

But, as Pete says this would be fairly easy for almost any welding shop to fabricate. The plain 2" square receiver is sold practically everywhere, and a bit of square stock angle-cut and welded on to your "regular" ball mount with the correct drop should be easy for them.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Perris Pacer 13 ft 1985 / 2002 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport
Quote:
All I know is what the Northern Equipment ad tells us, which is practically nothing.
Hi Steve,

Some details from the label on the part:
3.25" drop
5000 max load
500 max tongue

part #75090 (http://www.valley.us.com although I couldn't locate the specific part)

Has a 1" ball shank hole. To Pete's point, I drilled a new hole in the ball mount for the hitch pin and shortened the overhang by 2".

thx
Billy
rudock1 is offline   Reply With Quote