Bargman L-400 doesn't work from the inside. What part is flaky? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #1

Name: Colleen
Trailer: 1981 13' Burro
Washington
Question Bargman L-400 doesn't work from the inside. What part is flaky?

My little Burro The door latch works to open from the OUTSIDE, BUT from the INSIDE, the handle almost works, then skips and does not open the door. I could SO get stuck inside (i put an axe inside, just in case. not really). I got the Bargman out...and it seems like the spindle turns item "A" in the pic, and that is supposed to bump into item "B", thereby push "B" back and open the door...but instead, "A" lifts slightly and skims over the top of "B".

Any idea which part is failing? Maybe I could build up the height of "B"... what would stick to this ? metal?...or drill a small hole and put a peg in just to the side of "B" so that would stop "A".

huh..good thing i don't write instruction manuals Thank you for any wild ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
bargman L-400.jpg  
Colleen Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Take it to a locksmith, that's his or her job to figure out the problem or let you know if it can be repaired or it should be replaced.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:52 AM   #3

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
Try google

My suggestion is to do a google search for bargeman l400 repair. I found several posts. If you search google for 'bargeman l400 repair in fiberglassrv.com' you'll the response will be specific to these forums.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The L-400 hasn't been manufactured for decades. Working models go for big $$$ on eBay. IF the locksmith can't help you, you can buy a retrofit kit for a new square lockset here: Boler – Door Lock Replacement Kit for Bargman L400 – Chrome – fits 1975-1988 Boler
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A wild guess. The shaft of A goes through the housing and has worn, causing play which allows it to ride over B. A bushing might work. But before I would try to fix it myself I'd try a locksmith. These locks are no longer made, so parts are rare and expensive. But sometimes you get lucky and in the back, in a box, under some stuff.......
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #6

Washington
Thanks for the thoughts

Over the past several months, for this issue alone, I have spent many hours on this site, repeatedly, and 'googling' for Bargman info. I loved the excellent & very funny article by Paul Williams More Boler Adventures: Repairing the Bargman L-400 lock - Gone Driving
I used to own a 1960 Hillman Husky (British car, with mostly Lucas parts), so i know a bit about obsolete parts
While it would be nice to 'fix' the one I have, there have been so many 'improvements' to my Burro that i'm not overly concerned with keeping it 'original'. With the Paul Williams article to guide me, I may try to take the lock apart. Huh..maybe sell parts to pay for the retro-fit kit from the Boler site Thanks!
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen Rae View Post
.... i'm not overly concerned with keeping it 'original'. With the Paul Williams article to guide me, I may try to take the lock apart. Huh..maybe sell parts to pay for the retro-fit kit from the Boler site Thanks!
It's no so much "keeping it original" as what fits the hole. The L-400 has a unique shape, and nothing else fits. The new option above requires cutting a larger hole in the door. Its not cheap either. Local locksmith could save the day. Thats where I would start.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
FWIW, lock pictured above is in locked mode.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #9

Washington
I added a washer

I added a washer onto the spindle, creating a bit more pressure on the fit. Works now. Tho' I use it gently
Click image for larger version

Name:	bargman <a title=L-400 fix feb 2021.jpg Views: 8 Size: 49.6 KB ID: 141157" style="margin: 2px" />

Tags
l-400