Bargman L400 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 13ft
Alberta
Registry
Bargman L400

Hi everyone, I suspect this has come up before, I have a replacement lock cylinder to try and save my bargman L400. I managed to get the new cylinder in, however, the lock doesn't turn consistently with the key, I'm wondering if I am missing something in putting it back together. I don't suppose there's a manual somewhere???
MsCapergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:15 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
When I installed a replacement lock cylinder in my old L400, I found that the L400 cylinder housing had worn such that I couldn't turn the key. I fixed this problem by grinding down a portion of the L400 cylinder housing where the far end of the cylinder contacts it. I used a Dremel to do this.

I would take the modified L400 apart and examine it now to try to explain what portion I ground down, but I don't have the camper here now. Will have the camper here in a week or two. Then I can look at it and post my observations on this thread.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #3

Alberta
Registry
Thanks John,

It seems to be working ok now, just needed some more fidgeting. The key itself wasn't fully going in to the lock which I think was the problem.. just takes some maneuvering. Hopefully it will keep working!

Lisa
Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Squirt some graphite powder into the lock. Don't use WD-40 or any other liquid that attracts dirt. Available at any hardware store.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
lubrication...

Lisa, these locks jam easily, particularly in cold weather, salt air environments, etc. Several times my lock has jammed, and I found that 3-in-1 Lock Dry Lube unjammed the lock. I ALWAYS carry a can of this in tool bag when travelling.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Squirt some graphite powder into the lock. Don't use WD-40 or any other liquid that attracts dirt. Available at any hardware store.
Thanks Glenn, I'll give that a try ��