Bathroom light flickers when bathroom fan on - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 2021 Scamp
Oregon
Bathroom light flickers when bathroom fan on

Hi All,

Everyone was so helpful in solving one issue I had with my new Scamp that I thought I'd try again.

This time I have an issue where the light in our bathroom flickers when we turn the bathroom fan on. It's a pretty constant flicker, probably 3 times per second. If I turn on the light right outside the bathroom over our top bunk, the flickering stops. So it only happens when both the fan and the bathroom light are on, and the light outside the bathroom above our top bunk is off.

Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Thank you,

Tom
teg_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:33 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A guess

LED lights? Are the "bulbs" removable. If so, try swapping them. Try a different bulb in the one that flickers. LED lights require support electronics to operate properly. I'm guessing the support electronics in the flickering bulb is malfunctioning.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:27 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Ground problem?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:22 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: 2021 Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
LED lights? Are the "bulbs" removable. If so, try swapping them. Try a different bulb in the one that flickers. LED lights require support electronics to operate properly. I'm guessing the support electronics in the flickering bulb is malfunctioning.
Thanks Raz! I’ll try switching them in the morning and let you know how it goes.
teg_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:49 AM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
The answer to the next question

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg_76 View Post
Thanks Raz! I’ll try switching them in the morning and let you know how it goes.
Slide the cover away from the switch to remove. Also check the voltage with the problem occurring.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior light.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
cheap LED lamps just have series load resistors, and aare quite sensitive to voltage fluctuations, causing flicker. good ones have current regulators, and won't flicker at all. these 'good' ones will have a specification like 'Voltage: 9-18 volts' or maybe even wider.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
My LED problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
cheap LED lamps just have series load resistors, and aare quite sensitive to voltage fluctuations, causing flicker. good ones have current regulators, and won't flicker at all. these 'good' ones will have a specification like 'Voltage: 9-18 volts' or maybe even wider.
My LEDs with the wide voltage range were under 1$ each but caused interference on radios. The 12 volt only were 5 - 6$ @ and are quiet.

921-WWHP9-DAC and 921-WWHP12-DAC from superbrightleds.com
Attached Thumbnails
superbrightleds.com.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
Raz

The op said "If I turn on the light right outside the bathroom over our top bunk, the flickering stops"

Since turning on a second light would cause additional loading, I'm guessing the problem is not voltage. I think the regulator in the bathroom light is oscillating at a frequency other than designed. Turning on the other light stops the unwanted oscillation. Probably a bad capacitor or cold solder joint on the offending light.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #9

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
As someone with just enough electronics knowledge to be dangerous, maybe the second set of lights has enough input smoothing to help with the noise caused by the fan motor?
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #10

Name: Brian
Trailer: Ventura 1973
Calgary
Here's a thought, although perhaps not a correct thought.

I too am having similar issues and am planning on trying to find the cause this weekend in my 1973 Ventura.

Do any of you electrical types know if the issue could perhaps be that the light and the fan are wired incorrectly? For example, if wired in parallel and it should be in series, or vice versa?
Parallel49th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:18 AM   #11
Raz

It's been a week since the OP posted. I do hope he tells us what he's found. How many times do you have a problem, find a thread that discusses it but never get a solution because the OP never posts the resolution?
Old 04-01-2021, 05:33 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Have 2 separate projects going on 2 different trailers and purchased 2 6 pack sets of touch led flush mount pot lights from amazon for $50 bucks a set . One trailer has a brand new converter and one converter is original from 1977. The new converter works the lights just fine with no issues while the lights I put in with the old converter flickered almost right away and they all blew out within 10 minutes and will no longer work. reinstalled the original RV lights with new led bulbs and they work perfect so there must be led lights that are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and some that are not .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:49 AM   #13

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I'm not an electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn ......

Note the the OP does not specify LED or incandescent bulbs.
Note that LED voltage sensitivity theories (presuming that LEDs are in use) have to hold true with all three states of bath light only (no flicker), fan and bath light (flicker), and with fan, bath light and bunk light (no flicker).
Not specifically stated, but inferred, is a fourth condition of bath and bunk lights, no fan, with no flicker.

I'm going to presume the fan is a 12 volt DC powered unit with brushes and not an inductive (brushless) motor AC unit.

Is one of the rotor contacts in that DC motor not conducting, thus not drawing power for that brief instance as the motor momentum carries it past the dead spot to the next good contact? The change of current draw from power to dead to power will affect the voltage a bit.

Tom, if you're still around, switch on the bath light check for flicker. Hold the fan from turning and then switch the fan to ON. Does the light flicker? Rotate the fan by hand while the power is still on. Is there a fan blade position that causes a change in the light intensity or does the fan motor force you feel change?
Is the bath light LED and faster to react to very brief voltage changes as the fan passes a motor dead spot? Is the bunk light bulb an incandescent that not only is slower to react to fan influenced voltage change, but draws enough power that the voltage drop it adds when on masks the brief removal of voltage drop of the fan as is passes a motor dead spot?
Jon MB
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:54 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
It's been a week since the OP posted. I do hope he tells us what he's found. How many times do you have a problem, find a thread that discusses it but never get a solution because the OP never posts the resolution?
And how many times do you see OPs start multiple threads with the same or related questions?

I can't be sure but I would bet that the cause is the same as the other electrical issue he reported (and fixed) at the same time:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...rly-95148.html

BTW, the problem was an unplugged converter... so this flicker was likely due to low voltage from a depleted battery.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #15
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And how many times do you see OPs start multiple threads with the same or related questions?

I can't be sure but I would bet that the cause is the same as the other electrical issue he reported (and fixed) at the same time:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...rly-95148.html

BTW, the problem was an unplugged converter... so this flicker was likely due to low voltage from a depleted battery.
Could be but why would the flickering stop when he turned on the second light. Turning on the second light would make the voltage even lower?

Also, in the thread you referenced he "fixed" the converter problem on the 23rd March but is still working on the flickering here on the 25th March. Beats me?

Tags
light