Bathroom vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Going along I-5 a couple of days ago during a record-setting rain we stopped at a rest area for a break from the freeway crawl. Ascending the throne I found that the bathroom 9x9 vent was leaking (again) and splashing water on my knees.
I have replaced this %*&# vent for the third time and unfortunately there is nothing available from a different manufacturer, so I'm determined to replace it with something different, namely the round powered vent used in Casitas, Olivers, etc. It has a handle on the inside to twist it to open and close and is probably made by Philips Industries and available from JCWhitney and others.
Question to those of you who have this vent: have you found it to be reasonably well made, to operate properly, and not to leak? My plan is to install it in a different spot on the roof and build a permanent skylight to replace the old vent. A 14x14 vent would be too large.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
I found that the bathroom 9x9 vent was leaking (again)

My plan is to ... [b]build a permanent skylight to replace the old vent.
Is it just the lid that is leaking, or the frame?
If it is just the lid, will you reuse the frame, or start over from scratch?

I also have decided to eventually install a similar round bathroom vent in my Fiber Stream. I will monitor this post for responses as well...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I don't have the patience to track down exactly where it is leaking this time, but previous ones have had poor seal where the lid meets the flange as well as from cracks in the lid and the flange itself.
The material is weak, gets brittle and discolors. A hopeless item. I will scrape every bit of it off and design a frame to hold a tinted acrylic panel, most likely. Believe me, when I'm through it will not leak. I'll document for those who are suffering from the same item.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote