Batteries draining when in storage - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #41

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
My 2014 Parkliner has two 12-volt deep cycle batteries as well. So you have clips from the tender on each of the battery posts?
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #42

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Get both parts of the Anderson plug, run wires off the battery to one end that is placed where you can get at it easily, other end you can connect to a battery charger, battery minder, or solar charger and plug it in when needed
Both parts of the Anderson plug meaning the 7-pin connector and what they call the "anderson style connector" in the link I posted above? Or wire with the "anderson style connector" on each end?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I would like to rig something that prevents taking the tanks off, etc., every time it goes to and from storage.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #43

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
My 2014 Parkliner has two 12-volt deep cycle batteries as well. So you have clips from the tender on each of the battery posts?
When I have it in storage, I take one battery home and put it on a trickle charger.
The other battery is attached to a 5W solar charger. I turned off all the 15A breakers and left the 30A on.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #44

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Anderson connector takes two wires. Attach one wire to the positive post of a battery, the other wire to the negative post. Route the wires out of the battery box and attach the plug somewhere you can get at it. Then attach wires to the other half of the Anderson plug to which you can connect a battery charger or minder or solar charger. When you want to charge the batteries plug the Anderson connector together and now you're connected to the batteries.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #45

South Carolina
Registry
Replaced batteries

Update on batteries: I took my Parkliner to a local RV repair shop. They are an Interstate battery dealer and Interstate agreed to replace the batteries under warranty.

So far, so good. I have had my Parkliner at the storage facility for a week and the batteries are in good shape. Some people advised I put a plug-in trickle charger on, but I do not have any way to plug it in when at the storage facility, so I have to use solar. My HOA will not allow me to keep my Parkliner in my driveway for more than 3 days.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #46

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
Update on batteries: I took my Parkliner to a local RV repair shop. They are an Interstate battery dealer and Interstate agreed to replace the batteries under warranty.

So far, so good. I have had my Parkliner at the storage facility for a week and the batteries are in good shape. Some people advised I put a plug-in trickle charger on, but I do not have any way to plug it in when at the storage facility, so I have to use solar. My HOA will not allow me to keep my Parkliner in my driveway for more than 3 days.
You don't need much power just to maintain a battery, so solar is usually a good option (as long as you get the fairly minimal amount of sunlight that would be required). I would use a master cutoff switch that disconnects all loads but still allows the solar (or shore power) trickle / maintenance charger to work. But if storing the trailer away from home for more than a few weeks, I would remove the battery and store it at home where I could properly maintain it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #47

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A fully charged healthy battery with CLEAN top, cables disconnected, and "shower cap" sort of cover over it will hold a charge with negligible loss for many months without the need for a charger of any type.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #48

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
A fully charged healthy battery with CLEAN top, cables disconnected, and "shower cap" sort of cover over it will hold a charge with negligible loss for many months without the need for a charger of any type.
Thanks, I'll start disconnecting the batteries when it is in storage for more than 2 weeks.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #49

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my way

Where the line comes off your battery i put a swich there so there is no parasitic drain on the battery. Very simple to do!

good luck

bbo
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #50

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The experts concur (see below chart). I just like to keep my battery topped off every few weeks or monthly so its at full charge should I decide to head out, or I need the camper because of power failure at home.

Source: Elevating Self-discharge - Battery University
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner