Battery - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Shari and Duane
Trailer: Northern Lite
Washington
Battery

When the trailer is hooked up to the towing vehicle, and the generator is hooked up to the trailer, is the vehicle being charged?

sremmenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #2

Name: Gene
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 19
Washington
That would depend on your tow vehicle. A lot of newer vehicles with a factory 7 pin connector automatically disconnect the 12 volt charge wire when the vehicle is off. If you have a 4 pin connection then it is definitely no. If you want to be sure connect a multimeter to your vehicle battery posts. If the voltage increases when you plug your trailers converter in then the answer would be yes. There are other ways to test but I think this one would most directly answer your question.

buff30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #3

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff30 View Post
That would depend on your tow vehicle. A lot of newer vehicles with a factory 7 pin connector automatically disconnect the 12 volt charge wire when the vehicle is off. If you have a 4 pin connection then it is definitely no. If you want to be sure connect a multimeter to your vehicle battery posts. If the voltage increases when you plug your trailers converter in then the answer would be yes. There are other ways to test but I think this one would most directly answer your question.
Clear and concise!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
alternately, just measure the voltage at the ground to battery terminal of your 7-blade connector on the tow vehicle with the engine off, and again with the engine on to verify you have the right two pins... I did this just now with my 2002 F250, and got 0V off, 14V on.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #5

Name: Gene
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 19
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
alternately, just measure the voltage at the ground to battery terminal of your 7-blade connector on the tow vehicle with the engine off, and again with the engine on to verify you have the right two pins... I did this just now with my 2002 F250, and got 0V off, 14V on.
This will work as long as your vehicle is not too "smart" for its own good. On my 2015 f150 it will not output 12 volts on the charge wire at the 7 pin unless it senses a trailer is connected. It must see the load of the trailer lights. I personally do not like it. It is so sensitive it wouldn't detect that my Scamp had electric brakes until I connected a third brake magnet.

Back to the original post question when would you have AC hooked up to your camper and have the camper hooked to the vehicle? Short stop? Are you concerned about it causing problems?
buff30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #6

Mid Left Coast
I try and remember to unplug the trailer plug before plugging the trailer into AC power. I know the solar power controller is happy coexisting with an alternate charge source, but I'm not so sure of backfeeding power to the tug's alternator.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #7

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff30 View Post
This will work as long as your vehicle is not too "smart" for its own good. On my 2015 f150 it will not output 12 volts on the charge wire at the 7 pin unless it senses a trailer is connected. It must see the load of the trailer lights. I personally do not like it. It is so sensitive it wouldn't detect that my Scamp had electric brakes until I connected a third brake magnet.
ugh. yeah, I'm hating on all the new automagic crap on newer vehicles. my Tacoma is a 2008, thats about the last year before they started to computerize everything. my daily driver is a 1993 Mercedes 300CE Convertible, only 'computer' in it is the engine control unit. My 'new' tow vehicle is a 2002 Ford F250 7.3 turbodiesel, it has some computers under the dash but is still fairly analog and straight forward, although I still haven't figured out how to override the cab and courtesy light circuits when I open doors, it all disappears into the instrument panel computer/module in the wiring diagrams :-/

Tags
battery