BATTERY CONNECTOR WIRES UNDER FRONT SEAT?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974 and Burro 1986 17 ft Widebody
I have a '74 Trillium. There is a green wire and a white wire, both with round post connectors on the ends. The previous owners who had the camper, always said they used electricity so, obviously someone else before them put a battery inside the seat gaucho-left side. Which wire is the positive wire. I have put a battery outside on the front frame with red and black wiring already threaded inside the seat area ready to pigtail (if I can do that with the other two wires) could this be done? The RV place down the road from me, want to take out all the old wiring and put in new! That is NOT an option for me! Electrically, everything works just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? :conf
Mary Lynn K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I have a '74 Trillium. There is a green wire and a white wire, both with round post connectors on the ends. The previous owners who had the camper, always said they used electricity so, obviously someone else before them put a battery inside the seat gaucho-left side. Which wire is the positive wire. I have put a battery outside on the front frame with red and black wiring already threaded inside the seat area ready to pigtail (if I can do that with the other two wires) could this be done? The RV place down the road from me, want to take out all the old wiring and put in new! That is NOT an option for me! Electrically, everything works just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Well, depending on the age of the wire is how I would answer. If the wiring is original i.e. 30 years old, there is the possiblity that the insulation around the wiring has degraded or corroded. While the wires may work fine. The only way to be sure it is working properly is by checking different points in the wiring with a volt meter. If you don't have a volt meter, I would recommend you get one or borrow and learn how to use one. The volt meter can also show you how to determine which wire is positive and which one is negative. I would recommend that you check your wiring at different points along the wire path with a volt meter. While lights may work, okay voltage can drop if the wires are shorted and a volt meter will demonstrate these problems.
Hope this helps.
Doug
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
I have a '74 Trillium. There is a green wire and a white wire, both with round post connectors on the ends. The previous owners who had the camper, always said they used electricity so, obviously someone else before them put a battery inside the seat gaucho-left side. Which wire is the positive wire. I have put a battery outside on the front frame with red and black wiring already threaded inside the seat area ready to pigtail (if I can do that with the other two wires) could this be done? The RV place down the road from me, want to take out all the old wiring and put in new! That is NOT an option for me! Electrically, everything works just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am guessing that you mean that all of the AC powered electric works fine?

There is no way that you can know about the DC side that you are questioning if you can not even connect it to the Battery?

Or do you have a power converter in the Trill already????

A converter would take the AC power from the street and convert it to DC for the devices that the battery would power also. When plugged in to city AC power they will run on the converter and when self-contained they will run from the battery.

If none of this makes sense to you, I would find someone that can unravel and test the DC side for you or help you determine EXACTLY what you have in the trailer for DC wiring/Devices.

You also state that rewiring is NOT an option.
Sometimes in these older trailers it is a requirement. If you run some new wire yourself then you can at least be certain of its condition.
In my 1300 there was exactly 1 wire going to 2 lights on the cabinet above the sink. The wall behind the sink is hollow so it really does not get any easier than that if you do have to run a wire.
Mine had no other battery operated devices at all.....when I got it!

I am not trying to scare you but there is really not enough info given to be able to give you a definitive answer.
We really need more info if available to give good recommendations.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
use a multi-meter if you have one,
put the meter on ohms scale and put one lead on the outside metal part of a bulb holder(shell) on the interior light and then touch the other lead to each of the white/ green wires. When you get a reading that should be the negative(-) On my 1300 the white was negative.
You didn't say what model trillium.
Most of the 1300's did not have a converter so polarity would only be an issue when plugged in to the tow vehicle. or with electric brakes.
What cable comes in from the hitch; is it a 7 conductor?
where then do these wires hook up ( should be front corner roadside (opposite door)).
pictures would be a big help.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974 and Burro 1986 17 ft Widebody
Thank you all for your suggestions:
DSHEETS70: I'll try the volt meter along different points of wiring.

ED: Yes, the AC electricity works fine. I DO HAVE AN ORIGINAL CONVERTER under ther rear curbside seat. I understand how the converter works. I'll find someone to figure out the DC side of wiring/devices. I did check the cabinet above the sink, yes there is one wire, and from this point on, I don't understand how I can find the end of the wire if I snake in the wall. The furnace is below the sink.

JOE: I have a 1300-'74 trill. with an original converter. I don't use the car battery to anything on the camper- just plug-in the 4-wire flat connector from the car to the camper and the wires on the camper are hooked up on the front corner-roadside. The battery box is in front of where the lp tank would be (hasn't been mounted and used yetl) I want to make sure all the copper tubing is in good order or just replace it for peace of mind.

When my son gets home from turkey hunting this weekend (didn't get Tom this time'), I'll have him post some pictures, if he can figure out how to do it.

I have updated the profile of the campers under my name. Thanks again for your help!
Mary Lynn K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery