Battery life in Casita while in storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2018 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Oregon
Battery life in Casita while in storage

What is the expected time you can have a battery stay above 60% while in storage with nothing running except the detector? I have a Casita SD and sometimes can't have it plugged in and have not disconnected it in the past.
slonecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:06 PM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
It is certainly safe to turn off the CO detector by disconnecting the battery while in storage. My lawn tractor battery here in Rochester, NY, sits unattended all winter and starts the motor each Spring when I turn the key.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:20 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonecker View Post
..nothing running except the detector?...
Vague question.

What detector? CO? Propane? What is the power draw? You can usually find the power draw on the unit or in the manual.

OEM battery or upgraded? How old?

CO detectors usually run on internal batteries. Propane detectors usually run from the trailer battery and draw much more power than a CO alarm although that amount does vary quite a bit from model to model. And there are combined models.

For my propane alarm, if I leave it on I would charge my 100 Ah battery up every two weeks.

But just pull the fuse for the propane alarm or better yet disconnect the battery neg wire or install a battery disconnect switch for convenience and safety. Then the battery will go for months before internal self-discharge is a concern. Still at least one battery manufacturer recommends topping off a battery "in storage" once a month. For lead acid batteries they will live longer if kept fully charged so thats good advice.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:56 AM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I’ve heard the combined CO/propane detector will drain the battery faster than you think. A couple weeks sounds like a good estimate. Anyway I pull the detector’s fuse out when the camper is in storage. It’s on my checklists for both set up and tow away.

One other related thought: I remove my lead acid battery over the winter and put it on a battery tender. The battery rests along the inside wall of my garage placed on top of a 2x6. I’ve read that this is good practice. Also, the little green light reminds me that camping season isn’t too far away.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:26 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonecker View Post
What is the expected time you can have a battery stay above 60% while in storage with nothing running except the detector? I have a Casita SD and sometimes can't have it plugged in and have not disconnected it in the past.
We plug in our Casita about every month or two. Seems to keep it just fine in the cold weather.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, casita