Battery Minder? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #1

Name: Connie
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Battery Minder?

Hi,
I am wondering how people feel about using a battery minder on my new 2017 13' Scamp. I was not planning on plugging it in to the house for the winter. I was thinking of using a battery minder or removing the battery and storing it in the house. What our people opinions on this matter. I live in Michigan so it does get cold here. Any input would be appreciated. Never owned a trailer before so I am new to this stuff.
Thank you,
Connie
Maneelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Probably the easiest thing would be to bring it inside.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I bring all batteries inside and put a charger on them about once a month. I don't like leaving any device plugged in when I'm not there. I heard of a fire in a garage housing vintage cars being blamed on a battery minder, and another garage fire blamed on an engine block heater.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #4

Name: Connie
Michigan
Battery minder

Thanks for all the great advice. I will be bringing in the battery
Maneelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:16 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I leave my Oliver plugged in all the time and never worry about it. As long as you have a smart charger built in, or a quality battery tender, you're good to go.

A fully charged battery is quite freeze resistant, but I can't remember down to what temp they are OK.

Batteries will live longer if they are maintained at a float charge and not just left disconnected and then charged occasionally. Plus you have to pull it out and re-install if you bring it in.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:32 PM   #6

Registry
I see no need to bring the battery inside at anytime. If the battery is left in the trailer you get a few days of good weather it's one less thing to fuss about. If you bring it in for 8 to 9 months + you'll still need the battery minder. A fully charged batter is not likely to freeze either. Therefore I would just use a battery minder or a clone.
Put a pig tail on my battery so I just plug in the battery minder. And I turned off the converter 4 to 7 years ago. Don't miss it a bit.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I do exactly as Bob says- inside and top it off once a month. Keeping it on the trailer is not an option because there's no plug near its parking spot. Inside I'm also more likely to remember to plug it in monthly. It's in a well-ventilated spot.

I agree it would be ideal to have one less thing to prep for a trip, but life isn't always ideal.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
battery

I have vehicles that set for months nothing on them now if I was parking my trailer where there were strangers about I sure would remove everything from the outside in.

I see this along side the highways now open storage of rvs and wonder how they have anything left!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #9

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Solar Battery Maintaining

Hello,

Here in the hills of Arizona where the lowest temperature
in winter is about 10F I find that using the onboard solar
controller with a little 10W solar panel keep the battery up
just fine. This setup has kept up the 130AH Trojan battery
up for about the last 8? years. The larger 160W panel I use
when dry camping is stored away.

Larry H
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2288.JPG  
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If the battery is under a smart charger, you do NOT have to bring it in because you dont have to worry about it freezing if it's fully charged! I have my Scamp plugged into a Battery "Tender" and have for years now. It's outside...stays plugged in year-round unless the Scamp is rolling. I'm still using the same battery that came with the Scamp when it was purchased new in 2010.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
If the battery is under a smart charger, you do NOT have to bring it in because you dont have to worry about it freezing if it's fully charged! I have my Scamp plugged into a Battery "Tender" and have for years now. It's outside...stays plugged in year-round unless the Scamp is rolling. I'm still using the same battery that came with the Scamp when it was purchased new in 2010.
This is a perfect example and is exactly what I have found to be true. Tenders take good care of batteries and are designed to be left on continuously.

They make using your trailer more convenient and make it available at a moments notice. They make batteries last a long time.

Tags
battery