Battery operated propane alarms? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 01:35 AM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Battery operated propane alarms?

Hi, folks.

I am wondering if anyone has found a battery-operated propane detector and/or alarm that they like. I am holding off on wiring any constant-draw devices into my wee 2004 Scamp 13 until I have a better sense of how much propane I use when camping off-grid (or at least without electricity).

Thanks!
Kathy
Kgphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Look here: https://www.mtiindustries.com/produc...ti=0&ci=1&si=3
but I don't think you'll find a battery operated alarm.
The draw from your house battery will be minor. Your furnace fan is the real draw.
If storing, you can just disconnect the battery.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:13 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Kathy, here's another way you could go although some may not agree. I installed a switch next to the monitor so I didn't have the battery draw but could still turn a light on if I needed to while it's stored/parked. I've just made it a habit to turn it on when I light the refer etc.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:42 AM   #4

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
"fools seldom disagree"....lol

me too, I put a switch in that circuit....I know, I know I'll be dead anytime now

I got tired of getting up at 4 in the morning because the alarm had gone off parked in my backyard after a few days in the winter (suspect CO2 alarm).....also in my unit the alarm is located across the aisle from the stove/oven so every so often when I used the oven the alarm would go off.

I located a toggle switch near the floor, around a corner out of the way of normal foot traffic....it is "on" in the down position (the only way it could be accidently tripped would be from the off to on position)
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:21 AM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Pull fuse

When I picked up my Scamp last month, they had the fuse pulled from the detector so that it wouldn't drain the battery when waiting for me to pick it up. Seems like a pretty simple solution when the trailer is in storage.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The problem is the technology used by most flammable gas detectors draws a fair amount of current, and would result in limited battery life. No problems for smoke & CO detectors, but the propane generally runs of the larger trailer battery.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #7

Name: Megan
Kentucky
Battery and AC Operated CO2 & Propane Monitor

Hi There!
I just installed a fabulous combo CO2/Explosive Gas Detector which can be operated by battery and or AC. It's made by Kidde and I bought it for about $49 at Home Depot. I saw it featured on a UTube video and the old timer at H.D. said it's the best they've carried. Installation took about 5 minutes.
Megala M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #8

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
I just order a First Alert CO400 from Amazon for under $12 + tax, regular price around $33, operates on a 9V battery.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
I just order a First Alert CO400 from Amazon for under $12 + tax, regular price around $33, operates on a 9V battery.

That would be a carbon monoxide detector, not a propane gas detector.
And, CO2 is carbon dioxide, which is what you breath out all day and night.
CO is carbon monoxide and a killer.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgphd View Post
Hi, folks.

I am wondering if anyone has found a battery-operated propane detector and/or alarm that they like. I am holding off on wiring any constant-draw devices into my wee 2004 Scamp 13 until I have a better sense of how much propane I use when camping off-grid (or at least without electricity).

Thanks!
Kathy
Actually most all of the RV propane detector / alarms are battery powered... the battery being the house battery (supplemented by the converter / charger when on shore power).

And the reason is that they wont last long enough on smaller batteries. You might get a week out of a pair of D cells, but much less time with smaller batteries.

My recommendation is a battery cutoff switch that shuts off everything 12 volts in the camper from the battery, including the gas alarm. The switch is used when the camper is unoccupied AND the propane tank is turned off at the valve or removed all together.

At other times the gas alarm should be used, and the battery kept up by whatever means are appropriate (shore power, solar, weekly hookup to a charger, etc.)

Now if you find yourself in a situation where you cant recharge the battery and you need every Milliwatt possible out of the battery to keep from freezing to death, then its reasonable to remove the fuse to the gas alarm and take your chances on a gas leak. I would suggest that you do NOT install a switch to the alarm however because its just too darn easy to flip it and forget about it, leaving you without a gas leak alarm.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #11

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
The previous owner of my
scamp 16 had a switch installed which shut down 12v to the alarms, heater and water pump, but left power on to the lights. hard to forget to flip the switch back on.
A useful mod.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #12

Name: Kathy
Wisconsin
Thank you all!

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I will purchase (and use!) an explosive gas detector and alarm, and unplug or disconnect when the Scamp is in storage or when the battery is in desperate need of recharging.
Kgphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #13

Name: Ben
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Where did you find the video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megala M View Post
Hi There!
I just installed a fabulous combo CO2/Explosive Gas Detector which can be operated by battery and or AC. It's made by Kidde and I bought it for about $49 at Home Depot. I saw it featured on a UTube video and the old timer at H.D. said it's the best they've carried. Installation took about 5 minutes.
Hello I am looking on YOUTUBE for the video and can not find it. Could you please provide a link?

Thank you
Ben250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #14

There is a Kidde combo unit listed at Canadian Tire, for Canadian money ( higher price ).
Not sure about the ratings/reviews.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/k...0308p.html#srp
Old 04-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I have one that runs on the camper 12 Volt battery. I connected it through a switch that uses a KEY so it can not accidentely be turned off. I turn it off when not using the camper to extend its life.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
MTI propane alarms, commonly used in RVs have an LED when powered. A quick glance before going to bed verifies it is turned on. I see NO PROBLEM if someone wants to put a switch on its circuit. The manufacturer says that is a no-no, but only because the manufacturer is trying to cover a part of its anatomy (lawyers are everywhere). A switch is useful to silence the alarm when it goes off. You can determine why it went off all while protecting your eardrums. And when not in use, if powered off, the alarm’s lifespan will be increased. Last time I checked, they were around $70.

As to smoke and CO detectors, a word to the wise. Some are certified for use in RVs and others are not. This should be considered before purchasing an alarm because it was hyped on YouTube or because it is readily available at one of the big box stores (intended for home use). When the fire starts or the CO infiltrates, the alarm may have become defective due to the rigors of the RV bouncing down the road. Then the rigors of road vibration may become rigor mortis. As they say, RIP.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, propane