Battery power - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #1

Name: Betty
Trailer: 13’ Scamp
Rhode Island
Battery power

We just purchased a 2016 Scamp. My husband has sleep apnea and uses a crap machine at night. Does anyone know if the electric plugs will work with the battery at times when we don’t have an electric hookup?
Thanks,
Betty
mabeldust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
The outlets do not work when you are not hooked up to shore power. You will have to purchase an inverter if you want to use 120v on battery. The battery will barely make it through a whole night running this inverter though. I have heard that the following battery is a good choice for cpap users.

Suaoki portable lithium battery

Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabeldust1 View Post
We just purchased a 2016 Scamp. My husband has sleep apnea and uses a crap machine at night. Does anyone know if the electric plugs will work with the battery at times when we don’t have an electric hookup?
Thanks,
Betty
Advise on powering your CPAP machine through the night:

You need to plan for 7 hours of continuous power for the CAAP machine.

Advisable to have 2 efficient batteries for the trailer. When dry camping, you’ll also need a generator to recharge your batteries.

When not hooked up to electricity, plugs do not work with regular outlets. You’ll need an inverter or a 12 volt plug.

Because the the outlet for our inverter is too far away from our bed, we installed a 12 volt cigarette type power outlet by our bed, and purchased a 12 volt plug from the manufacturer of the CAAP unit. We could also plug an inverter into that outlet, but wanted to save space. Either approach allows us to place the CAAP unit near us.

When warm weather camping, save electricity & leave the humidifier at home.

You will want those batteries sufficiently charged at bedtime. Think of ways to minimize power usage off the grid: LED lights, 12 volt appliances, solar, judicial use of power pump, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If you're CPAP is 12v, it is more efficient to buy the 12v cord than to use an inverter. Why use energy to invert to 12v then use additional energy to convert back? Some CPAPs are 24 volt.

There are many CPAP specific battery options that are designed specifically for a series of CPAPs, but they are expensive ($200 plus on Amazon). They will last one or two nights and usually can be recharged from your car as you drive.

I have used a jump start battery for a number of years from before they had the lithium batteries mentioned my GOMPKA. It is good for two nights, my wife has a very small CPAP battery that also is good for about two nights, but I can't find a similar one.

I recently bought a travel CPAP that comes with a battery. It works well and lasts about 1.5 nights, which becomes realistically one night.

All of the above assumes no heater. That takes you to a whole other level of energy requirements.

Edit: I followed the link to the battery suggested by GOMPKA. That looks like a good battery and is cheaper than any I've seen including the two my wife and I have been using.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery