bearing torque for amerigo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: 1973 Amerigo FG-16
Virginia
bearing torque for amerigo

Anyone know the proper torque when repacking the wheel bearings on a 1973 16' Amerigo camper. Also, I have quite a few wires that go nowhere. Anyone have the wiring diagram for this model?
tatrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Most trailer wheel bearings are not pre-loaded or "Torqued". Common practice is to repack the wheel bearings, reinstall the hub and wheel/tire and first bring the nut up snug. Then spin the wheel a number of times to seat everything, back off the nut, snug down one more time and then back off about one flat until the cotter pin fits. That's worked on most tapered wheel bearings for the past 80+ years.

About wiring: Having a schematic will usually just make things worse as; a) Gardner Manufacturing (who built your Amerigo) was not well known for following any of the schematics they provided when building and, b) your trailer has been through umpteen owners in the past 40+ years who changed God only knows what in the wiring. Add to that any wire damage and shorts and opens and it's a lot easier to just pull out the old stuff and start from scratch, it's not that complicated.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #3

Name: Tony
Trailer: 1973 Amerigo FG-16
Virginia
Thanks for the advice about the bearings and the wiring. And yes, the wiring probably has been "updated" many times. I have ran a couple of new circuits myself for my new added lights and for the oven fan.
tatrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Google how to repack and install bearings.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm not sure what axle you have. This is from the Dexter manual. I hope it's helpful.
Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-1724133928.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo