Beginning project - ton of ?'s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2003, 07:54 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Beginning project - ton of ?'s

OK, I'm green :yep

Can someone help me out here? My trailer has a ton of hairline spiderweb type cracks in it. It has the original finish, never been painted. What's the best way to fill these in before repainting?

Do I need to sand the whole thing down before repainting, or can I just clean it with TSP or something?

Has anyone removed their ensolite and replaced it with that aluminum foil coated bubble wrap insulation? How did that work, and what did you use to cover over it on the inside?

Also, when filling in larger areas, like where rivets will be removed, or for reconstruction of the roof/vent sag area, how do I fiberglass them? What's the most economical place to get supplies in Alberta?

Thanks all!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 06:24 AM   #2

You will need something to keep the shape of the trailer when your filling in large holes with fiberglass. the guy that is doing mine used cardboard. it stuck so he should have had something over it for easy removel, but it's still going to work, it just looks funny before the gelcoating.

Old 05-24-2003, 12:42 AM   #3

Thanks

Thanks Jana. Now that I've put a bit more thought into it, I might look into getting a bigger vent too - I think the exst. one is only 12"x12". I guess I could build up the area around the new larger opening with cardboard and glass, and prop it up until it sets so the roof shape holds.

Old 05-24-2003, 01:58 AM   #4

I'm not sure cardboard is the best for this, just what my guy used. I remember someone here (or somewhere) used some formica like suff. slick, didn't stick after set-up.. (they may have oiled it or something) it held the shape better. my partial repared holes are going to need some build up to get the real trailer shape back. the carboard gave at the wrong places. just something to think about. :)