Belly Band repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
When looking to find out why water was coming into my Trillium 1300, I took off the plastic part of the belly band. I found holes, rusted screws and rivets (see attached photo).

What would you do if you were in my situation? Is it normal to find all of this under the plastic of the belly band? I would rather keep the work as minimal as possible, but I want to make sure that I won’t have anymore water infiltration. The belly band seems to have been reworked by a previous owner since the butyl around it is not equal everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8749a.JPG  
Johny Bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Hi Johny:

I used to have a 73 Trillium in that lovely Pea Green, and loved it.

I had the same problem.

I removed ALL the caulking on the top of the belly band with a plastic V shaped
putty knife, steel wooled the entire belly band, and resealed with New Clear Caulk.

I also went around the trailer and removed and replaced any rusty or loose screws
with new 1 size larger Stainless steel screws, (actually, one by one, I replaced them all).
I then went and bought new rubber/ plastic molding/ belly band cover (that's hanging in your picture) as it is really cheap 10 cents a foot.
The entire process only took a day, and eliminated the leaking problem, and looked great!

I hope that helps?

Cheers, Jake.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
if you are to do a 100% job, you will need to remove the metal band as well, drilling out the rivets as well.
then repair any of the damaged rivet tabs by glassing in new ones, then filling any holes, then re-rivet the band, then install new rubber trim. If you do a few searches using the search button near the top right side of the screen, you should find a few threads dealing with this issue, it has been a hot topic in the past.
The Trilliums did not originally have sealant on the belly band.
I'd post the links, but don't have time now, just spend some time searching the site, you'll find lots of answers.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Have you looked at the windows as well. They are the #1 source of water getting in, running down behind the ensolite and puddling on the bottom. I just went through the same issues you have and also did the windows. I removed the screws and replaced with rivets and then epoxied the inside under the ensolite before putting everything back together but that is a more major job.
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Someone suggested me to use polyurethane that is used for replacing car windshields. After filling in the holes, instead of re-riveting the metal band, I would glue it with polyurethane.
</span>

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Thank you very much for your help, your advices are greatly appreciated and very much needed</span>

Johny Bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #6

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1979 4500 Trillium
Ontario
Hi

I saw this old post you wrote. I am in the process of fixing my '79 Trillium 4500
I have removed the belly band and all the rivets. I do see numerous metal plates and they are rusted and flaky. Do all of these have to be removed as well? If so how does one go about it.
I am new to this forum and have a difficult time navigating so I am not sure how you would reply to me or how to see if you do...Just don't know where to check so if you could email me directly I would appreciate it.

kjkiatipis@hotmail.com

Thanks

Karen Kiatipis
KarenKiatipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:47 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes they all need to be removed. Its not as big a job as it sounds. Hundreds of threads detailing the process. Search via google is easiest. Trillium belly band repair fiberglass rv forum.

Two people I really trust on this are Randy Bishop and Dave Tilson. Both have posted repair threads.

I occasionally frequent forums on the cars we own, old house repairs, and so on. Rather than learn the intricacies of how to search those individual forums, I always just search via google instead.

If you want to do it the proper way on google, then type this in:
trillium belly band repair site:www.fiberglassrv.com

But I find I can just type in trillium belly band repair fiberglass rv forum and get there as well.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:15 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
YTwo people I really trust on this are Randy Bishop and Dave Tilson. Both have posted repair threads.
Thanks Bill, Randy is the real expert, but I have done a few threads on the subject:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ead-58763.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ead-59580.html

The second one deals with the unique issues of a 4500 belly band.

I did remove all the metal plates, but I am not sure that is, "required". There are people who have left some of them in. As long as they no longer expand as a result of rust, I don't see any obvious problems. As you say though, they are not difficult to remove. Just use a Dremmel type tool, with a cut off disk. Cut the plate in half and pull out the two halves with plyers.

If you work steady at it, the belly band could be done in ~40hrs, or one week of full time work. Not shown in my threads is the Bondo stage. Lots of sanding and sandable primer. Depending on how fussy you are.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote