Belt line seal leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #1

Name: Sonny
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Yukon
Belt line seal leak

Does anyone have experience with the belt line seal letting in water?
sonny75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
No ; but that’s probably cause I never heard of a
“ Belt line seal “ !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Of course he means what is more commonly called the belly band, and yes, it can leak. It’s more common on some makes than others depending on how the halves are joined. I don’t know about the Ventura.

Window and vent leaks are more common, and since water can travel some distance from the source before appearing, I’d rule them out first.

A garden hose on trickle or a watering can with a narrow spout allows you to target potential leak points. Work from the bottom up, and allow time for water to appear before moving on.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Google. Belly band on Trilliums is a well known defect and removing the band, grinding out all the plates, and patching the fiberglass is the time tested repair.

Love my Trillium but they had some serious design flaws that have to be repaired: belly bands, rotten wood around windows, rotten wood where door hinges attach, and body to frame bolts. Pre 1976 had a recall for their frames. Front body bolts went right through frame at the same place frame was mechanically bent. Frames cracked.

First thing I look at when I see pictures of a used belly band. If it still has the old trim, I know I will be grinding and patching.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote