Best Adhesive for Reflectix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Best Adhesive for Reflectix

I have completely gutted my Amerigo and now I am ready to insulate with reflectix. So what is the best adhesive/glue to attach the reflectix to the bare fiberglass? is there a special process that I need to know to properly adhere the reflectix to the fiberglass? I also will be attaching a marine grade carpet with a rubber backing to the reflectix as my final wall/celling treatment. So of course what adhesive/glue would be best to use for that application? Any help you can lend would be awesome!!
hotrodaj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodaj31 View Post
I have completely gutted my Amerigo and now I am ready to insulate with reflectix. So what is the best adhesive/glue to attach the reflectix to the bare fiberglass? is there a special process that I need to know to properly adhere the reflectix to the fiberglass? I also will be attaching a marine grade carpet with a rubber backing to the reflectix as my final wall/celling treatment. So of course what adhesive/glue would be best to use for that application? Any help you can lend would be awesome!!
3M Super 77 adhesive is good and I think it is what Scamp uses (or equivalent) You should call them and ask...(800) 346-4962
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Home Built
My experience is that the carpet is too heavy and will pull the glued reflectix off the ceilings and walls, if you can find something to get both of them to stick in the first place. Best to use light covering over the reflectix or just the carpet.....ymmv
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D White View Post
My experience is that the carpet is too heavy and will pull the glued reflectix off the ceilings and walls, if you can find something to get both of them to stick in the first place. Best to use light covering over the reflectix or just the carpet.....ymmv
Ozite will work. Its sorta like in between carpet and fabric with a bias toward carpet.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #5

Indiana
That is my biggest fear the weight of the carpet pulling down both! I also question if the R factor of the reflectix is enough to go through the hassle of trying to adhere both reflectix and carpet. The carpet is a nice rubber backed marine grade. I am not planning on any cold weather trips but do expect to camp in night in the lower 40's. I am wondering if a commercial grade carpet glue would work or is that to aggressive.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
When I replaced the strip of ceiling carpet on my '81 Burro the carpeting was left over remnants from a new house install. The adhesive I used on the ceiling was contact cement. Never had a problem.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I also used contact cement. I tried the water based first, but found it didn't work. Ended up with the standard flammable stuff...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Contact Cement like Jon used.
But: Make sure it does not eat up the reflectix. Do a test before you go all in.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Reflectix is on sale.....

Saw it in the Menard's ad in yesterday's Sunday newspaper.

I put some in my Compact Jr this fall. It's very easy to work with. My walls were nice but bare fiberglass.

Nothing had ever been glued to the walls as far as I could see. I preferred installing it without making it permanent.

I used heavy duty adhesive-backed Velcro cut into squares spaced about the back of each piece of Reflectix I cut.

The Velcro is pretty expensive. For the final few pieces I used heavy duty double-sided carpet tape with fiberglass reinforcing. It was about $10 for a 75' roll and seemed to work very well. I used several strips running in each direction on the back of each piece of Reflectix.

But I'm sure it would not be strong enough to hold both the Reflectix AND carpet. I did find a nice outdoor carpet at Menard's that had a smooth vinyl back that allowed the use of the double-sided tape and put some of the carpet on the upper wall of the camper.

The carpet came in a nice tan color and was only .34 cents a square foot. It probably wouldn't stand up to much foot traffic but seemed to help on the walls.

When my camper is out in the full sun the ceiling and walls get VERY hot to the touch. And when it's early morning the walls can be very cold and damp to the touch.

But with the Reflectix in place (and the carpet) the walls were very comfortable

In the spring I'll probably cover the Reflectix with a lightweight fabric
Attached Thumbnails
post.insulation.1.jpg   insulation carpet.1.jpg  

john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy The problem with Reflectix

You must have a dead air space on one or both sides in order to obtain any reflective insulating benefit.
From the Reflectix website:

What if There is No Air Space Present on Either Side of the Product?
No Air Space = No Reflective Insulation Benefit
(An R-1.1 is provided from the product itself for the Reflective/Double Bubble material.)

About Reflective Technology | Performance Information

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #11

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Also, unless glued to the outside it can't reflect anything.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #12

Indiana
John Thanks for the tip on the sale at Menard's I will be stopping and picking up all my supplies for the weekend. Funny I am using the exact same material reflectix and carpet same color carpet with the vinyl backing. Menard's is the one stop shop for anything I do and the wife love going LOL So you used Velcro to attach the reflectix but what did you use to adhere the carpet to reflectix....The double sided carpet tape? I think I will use the contact cement others have suggested to adhere the reflectix to fiberglass and try the carpet tape.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
You must have a dead air space on one or both sides in order to obtain any reflective insulating benefit.
From the Reflectix website:

What if There is No Air Space Present on Either Side of the Product?
No Air Space = No Reflective Insulation Benefit
(An R-1.1 is provided from the product itself for the Reflective/Double Bubble material.)

About Reflective Technology | Performance Information
I think There may be some misunderstanding of what appears to be presented as overall R-Value of reflextix. I think the 1.1 is the only the "reflective" value without an air space.
Overall R-Value (coduction,convection, radiation and reflection) must be much higher just based on observation and use of all sorts of fiberglass trailers with and without insulation of different types.
The ratfur system in the Scamp shows itself to be very effective in both heat and cold. Much more so than its predecessor or much of its competition.

I have slept in fiberglass trailers with no insulation and it is not much more than a windbreak in the cold and it is an OVEN in the heat.
There is apparently a LOT more than a 1.1 overall R-value with reflextix/ratfur system installed.

Heretofore I have seen reflextix touted as anywhere from 11 to 15 overall R-value when installed with the rafur in a Scamp. Simple observation seems to confirm this.
One last observation, when sleeping in a modern Scamp in cold weather, feel the cold Cascading from the windows while the walls are warm and comfortable to the touch.
Science can be persuasive even with an incomplete understanding...
but stll, Bumble bees can actually fly.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
i'm not putting carpet atop the Reflectix.....

I put Reflectix on the sidewall of my Compact Jr up to the top of the window.

From the top of the window the sidewall curves quickly and turns into the ceiling.

from the top of the window and up I am putting the carpet alone.

I'm using the double-sided tape for the carpet. Most of the Reflectix was put up with the heavy duty Velcro.

the two pieces of Velcro create about a 1/4" air space between the Reflectix and the wall.

next spring I plan to buy one of the "no-touch" thermometers so I can read the temps at the Reflectix, the carpet, and a piece of bare wall and see how much affect I'm getting from the insulation.

If you are buying Reflectix you will find it in 18", 24" and 48" widths. I found the 24" very easy to work with.

Note on the window one of those windshield sun guards. that helps a lot too. I circled some cable straps through the upper corners of the sun guard and use those loops to hang it on the curtain rod holders.

At the Algonac outing in September one couple put a strip of Reflectix along the three walls surrounding their bed, about 24" tall and said it helped.
Attached Thumbnails
window shade.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #15

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I used contact cement, then carpet. It is well insulated and hasn't pulled off.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
........I have slept in fiberglass trailers with no insulation and it is not much more than a windbreak in the cold and it is an OVEN in the heat.
There is apparently a LOT more than a 1.1 overall R-value with reflextix/ratfur system installed. .......

Heretofore I have seen reflextix touted as anywhere from 11 to 15 overall R-value when installed with the rafur in a Scamp. Simple observation seems to confirm this.
One last observation, when sleeping in a modern Scamp in cold weather, feel the cold Cascading from the windows while the walls are warm and comfortable to the touch.
Science can be persuasive even with an incomplete understanding...
but stll, Bumble bees can actually fly.
A 3 1/2 inch layer of fiberglass installed in a wall cavity is rated at R-11. A layer of reflectix covered in rat fur also R-11? to R-15? Floyd, I realize you love all things Scamp, but that's just silly. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
A 3 1/2 inch layer of fiberglass installed in a wall cavity is rated at R-11. A layer of reflectix covered in rat fur also R-11? to R-15? Floyd, I realize you love all things Scamp, but that's just silly.
Raz
So you say...
Are you then willing to accept 1.1 as the R factor?
Do you know of a more effective wall covering for a molded fiberglass trailer?
Without more info, maybe we should leave the "R" factor to cold hearted pirates.
"Shiver me timbers!"
Old 11-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Floyd, I pulled your chain just to get your response. You didn't disappoint

Considering that our 13' trailers are about the size of a small bathroom and for that space both the air conditioners and the furnaces provided are quite large, I don't think any of our trailers are well insulated.
Next time you are using your furnace you can get a good idea how effective the insulation is by measuring the outside hull temperature with an inexpensive IR thermometer. If you don't have one, you should. They are very handy. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-449973565.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Floyd, I pulled your chain just to get your response. You didn't disappoint

Considering that our 13' trailers are about the size of a small bathroom and for that space both the air conditioners and the furnaces provided are quite large, I don't think any of our trailers are well insulated.
Next time you are using your furnace you can get a good idea how effective the insulation is by measuring the outside hull temperature with an inexpensive IR thermometer. If you don't have one, you should. They are very handy. Raz

Our Scamp has about half of a conventional rooftop A/C plus a heat strip. It is also old enough to have the smaller output 12000BTU furnace. They are both overkill.(thanks to reflextix).
Neither is still available, having been replaced with larger units with even more overkill.
Last time I used the furnace or the A/C, I got a good idea of how effective the insulation is by experiencing unsurpassed comfort.

I used to use an IR thermometer to read tread temps on our racecar. It was a nice toy and nobody wanted to put it down!
Like us, they were a bit silly and predictable!