Best Cat harness ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 01:50 AM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Best Cat harness ?

I bought "Come with me Kitty" harness/leash combo and both cats wiggled out fairly quickly.
Any better brands out there from experienced owners?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Three of my four cats will walk on a leash and one loves it and runs to the counter to be hitched up as soon as you grab his leash. They cannot be left alone outside leashed up though. They'll hang themselves on trees or bushes and fences easily. They act like it isn't on them and just keep doing what cats do...as they please. So I walk them but never leave them unattended. My American bobtail doesn't cooperate with anything..its a two person job just to put frontline on him. Even then I take on damage.
Oh, I use regular cat collars....I've tried harnesses and they're a pain.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
"Best" Cat harness?

I am totally happy with the simple Figure 8 Cat Harnesses!
Google it under that name and you'll see many suppliers. I have only seen any of my cats get out of it IF they get caught up and then can sometimes back out of it - VERY SELDOM! Also VERY comfortable for the cat.
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

Name: Lori
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arkansas
Re: Best Cat Harness

I understand the Kitty Holster is good for cats who easily back out of a regular harness, but the security of any harness is going depend on fit, adjustment, training, and temperament.
Lori L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Hah! A cat harness is something designed specifically for a cat to escape from, is it not?

Following.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

Name: Lori
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arkansas
If they were being staked-out (a bad idea), then yes, they would need to be able to escape from it, but harnesses are only for walking with the owner always on the other end of the lead.
Lori L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Have you looked at these?

Cats who hate harnesses LOVE the Kitty Holster cat harness! Walk your cat!
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When I saw the heading I thought...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Good ones Floyd!
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Have you considered that old stand-by duct tape? Should help with shedding too come to think of it....

Never could get our cats to put up with a harness, both considered it something meant to be clawed and bit into submission.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I like the Gooby brand of harness for my cats. Petco carries that brand. That harness style comforts and calms them. When wearing one my cat will sit or lie still even if people walk by or cars drive by. When not wearing one he has a different reaction....flight.

At first most cats will "plant" themselves when you put them into a harness. So let them get used to wearing it around home before you start walking them on a leash. I give them an opportunity to wear it at times other than when I want to take them on a walk or go camping so that they stay used to it. My cats hate the figure 8 harness but love wearing the Gooby brand ones. They have no troulble getting out of a figure 8 harness but don't try getting out of the Gooby. They made their choice very clear
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #12

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Do you use a dog Gooby harness? I'm looking on line and don't see that they makes ones for specifically for cats.
I wouldn't leave her staked out alone in Yellowstone, or anywhere. My Ragdoll cat that just died was a great traveler, but the remaining cat is definitely not. If I'm opening the car door or transferring her from one place to another, I want to be able to have a hold on her in case a truck goes by, or there's a loud noise. She's a special needs cat also. She inhaled the pink fuzz from a cat toy at age 3. Three days of ICU and $7000 later after she arrested and was revived, I brought her home to die. She's 12 now and still has trouble breathing, but she's happy.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #13

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Lynn..

Our male cat has been in harness since the day we brought him home - he was 3 months old and now 3 years latter every morning the first thing that happens as we put on, what we call, his "jacket".. It's a simple harness that consists of one webbing strap and clasp around his neck, one webbing strap and clasp around his chest behind his front legs, a strap that connects the 2 straps with clasps and a tag end strap that has a metal loop[ to connect a retractable lead to.. He never leaves the house without it on and it only comes off when he is in for the night.. Actually, when we are on the road, his "jacket" is on 24-7 as it has his identification tags attached to it.. A simple, apparently comfortable and non restrictive harness that is manly to be seen in.. And they are not expensive at all ;-)
Old 08-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
Do you use a dog Gooby harness? I'm looking on line and don't see that they makes ones for specifically for cats.
I wouldn't leave her staked out alone in Yellowstone, or anywhere. My Ragdoll cat that just died was a great traveler, but the remaining cat is definitely not. If I'm opening the car door or transferring her from one place to another, I want to be able to have a hold on her in case a truck goes by, or there's a loud noise. She's a special needs cat also. She inhaled the pink fuzz from a cat toy at age 3. Three days of ICU and $7000 later after she arrested and was revived, I brought her home to die. She's 12 now and still has trouble breathing, but she's happy.
There is no specific cat only harness from Gooby. They work fine for cats too. They don't choke around the neck. Use a string or piece of fabric around the cat's chest and mark the length then go to the store and compare it to the actual product. Or take the cat with you in its carrier crate and try it on the cat.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote