We are starting down the home stretch on our 1986 Scamp
16 restoration, and are at the point where we are about to caulk the ensolite ("elephant skin") seams.
I've read a bit of conflicting information here and elsewhere about what specific caulk is best to use.
- ALEX latex caulk, no silicone. Sometimes recommended, but often mentioned that folks used the 'premium ALEX' as the regular ALEX can crack.
- ALEX PLUS latex plus silicone caulk. I imagine this is what folks are referring to, but I have read a bunch of bad reviews over the last year saying it is horrible quality now.
- DAP 230. Not much information, but has been mentioned here.
- OSI QUAD isn't recommended as it isn't water based and is hard to texture.
- Pure silicone caulk not recommended due to painting
Sashco BIG STRETCH caulk is something I haven't seen mentioned, but it's water-based and I have used it very successfully on other projects. Has anyone used this?
Any recommendations, success stories, horror stories or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!