Best caulking type/brand for ensolite seams? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Best caulking type/brand for ensolite seams?

Hi All,

We are starting down the home stretch on our 1986 Scamp 16 restoration, and are at the point where we are about to caulk the ensolite ("elephant skin") seams.

I've read a bit of conflicting information here and elsewhere about what specific caulk is best to use.

- ALEX latex caulk, no silicone. Sometimes recommended, but often mentioned that folks used the 'premium ALEX' as the regular ALEX can crack.
- ALEX PLUS latex plus silicone caulk. I imagine this is what folks are referring to, but I have read a bunch of bad reviews over the last year saying it is horrible quality now.
- DAP 230. Not much information, but has been mentioned here.
- OSI QUAD isn't recommended as it isn't water based and is hard to texture.
- Pure silicone caulk not recommended due to painting issues.

Sashco BIG STRETCH caulk is something I haven't seen mentioned, but it's water-based and I have used it very successfully on other projects. Has anyone used this?

Any recommendations, success stories, horror stories or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Forward Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
I used the DAP 230 on mine and 2+ years later it's still holding up just fine. Was really easy to work with, looks good. I give it a
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote