Best fastener to install old style windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I'm working on the interior trim that will go around the old style windows on my scamp. They were originally riveted directly to the fiberglass without any backing plate. I do not want to use rivets to re-install the windows. One option is to use a maple trim piece on the inside and use wood screws, but i'm wondering if they could loosen up in the future. I could also use a metal screw with nut and washer, and attach this to the fibergalss directly, or use the maple inside trim piece, or even use a piece of aluminum trim to match the windows.

My quesiton; has anyone used any of these methods, or different ones that worked out well?

Thanks
Dan
Old 06-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about stainless steel bolts and acorn nuts? With butyl tape the bolts don't need to be really heavy duty, between the two the window isn't going to fall out. If you go this route, just be certain to put a "plastic" washer between the head of the bolt and the aluminum frame.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Don't know if you have cabinets above those windows, but I suspended the curtain rods around our dinette from the overhead cabinets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Under_Cabinet_Curtain_Rod__2_.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	28501

Name:	Under_Cabinet_Curtain_Rod__3_.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	28502

Name:   Under_Cabinet_Curtain_Rod_Graphic.gif
Views: 91
Size:  5.6 KB
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hi Dan,
Well, I think the wood backing with sheet metal screws would work fine.
This is essentially what Trillium used to use. 3/4" ply behind the fiberglass
shell with sheet metal screws attaching the window frame to the wood through
the fiberglass shell and then ensolite over that. When I removed and replaced
my '78 trillium windows last year the plywood had been wet but did not have
dry rot. Make sure to use plenty of butyl tape. Here is a rough sketch.
Good Luck. Larry H

Name:	WindowFrameBacking.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	28504
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Dan, this question gets asked quit a bit and you will receive different answers. I personally prefer to replace a rivet with a rivet. It's quicker, less expensive and allows the body to flex a little
I'm curious, your trailer is 34 years old and apparently the rivets have done a satisfactory job for 34 years.
This question is for everyone. Why change something that has lasted much longer than you will probably have the trailer?
The only time I have used anything other than rivets is when a hole has enlarged to the point that a rivet will not work.
I've refurbished at least 10 Eggs since I retired 5 years ago and have been curious why some people have an aversion to something that has a proven track record.

Good luck with your remodel Dan.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #6

Registry
Thanks for all the replies.

Donna, using stainless steel bolts and acorn nuts was one that I was considering. I was thinking of using a stainless lock washer instead of plastic, but will look into both.

Peter, thanks for the curtain details. I do have cabinets above the windows and I was looking a the IKEA curtain rods. Peter, do you have the bottom of your curtains attached to a rod? If not, do they hang out much?

Larry, thanks for the detail on trillium attachment. Did you re-use the plywood backers that were there?

Perry, the reason I'm changing over to something else is the rivets had failed in most areas to keep the water out. After removing the liner, I could see dark stained areas coming from most of them. In the process of restoring the trailer, I've done plywood tabbing to hang all the new cabinets, just to get ride of holes, and would like the remaining holes to have a fastener that could be tightened up in the future, or more easily removed if leaks do occur. I will still use rivets, but they are in areas that I do not have easy access to both sides of the wall. As a businessperson, I think the reason that rivets are used is to save time; money and they work reasonably well, which makes business sense. However, since I’m not as concerned with the time aspect, and the money is not that much compared to the rest of the restoring cost, I prefer to go with something else.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

Donna, using stainless steel bolts and acorn nuts was one that I was considering. I was thinking of using a stainless lock washer instead of plastic, but will look into both.

Peter, thanks for the curtain details. I do have cabinets above the windows and I was looking a the IKEA curtain rods. Peter, do you have the bottom of your curtains attached to a rod? If not, do they hang out much?

Larry, thanks for the detail on trillium attachment. Did you re-use the plywood backers that were there?

Perry, the reason I'm changing over to something else is the rivets had failed in most areas to keep the water out. After removing the liner, I could see dark stained areas coming from most of them. In the process of restoring the trailer, I've done plywood tabbing to hang all the new cabinets, just to get ride of holes, and would like the remaining holes to have a fastener that could be tightened up in the future, or more easily removed if leaks do occur. I will still use rivets, but they are in areas that I do not have easy access to both sides of the wall. As a businessperson, I think the reason that rivets are used is to save time; money and they work reasonably well, which makes business sense. However, since I'm not as concerned with the time aspect, and the money is not that much compared to the rest of the restoring cost, I prefer to go with something else.
Have you looked at chicago nuts with lock tite? I haven't used them for something like a window but I have used them for other things where I was looking for a flush finish.
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #8

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Seems to me that using rivets for curtain hangers is a great example of cost and production speed trumping common sense. I don't understand why the Scamp factory is so rivet-happy, since every one is a potential leak, not to mention being another unnecessary exterior pus-pimple.

Since I got roof repairs anyway I decided to eliminate as many as I can. I vote for Peter's solution.
Attached Thumbnails
holes07.jpg   holes19.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #9

Registry
Mike and Sarah K, I did a search for Chicago nut and came up sex nut, which is the same thing. These look promising and I will look into it. I have seen these at my local hardware store. I need to find if they would come in a short enough length and other possible issues. If not used at the windows, I may use these at a awning rail that will have a few fasteners over the door opening, and I'm worried about hitting my head on them. Thanks for the idea.

Tags
windows