Best glue for for foam - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Best glue for for foam

Hi. Newbie here. I am restoring a nine and a half foot Bigfoot truck camper a window leaked and almost all of the wood went bad. I replaced the floor stringers and foam. I had to strip almost all of the paneling.. I am curious what is the best way to glue new paneling to the old foam insulation. Epoxy? Latex contact cement? PL foam board adhesive? Styrene resin? Thank you in advance. Also, I apologize of other threads have covered this topic
Swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
contact cement will eat styrofoam, PL foam board adhesive is probably going to be your best bet. If you choose something else make sure the labeling says it works with styrofoam (polystyrene)
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
Pl premium works great.Add a spray of water to activate the set.m
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I'm not sure why you would be attaching paneling to styrofoam. Usually, the glue is to attach the insulation and hold it in place and seal the spaces around it. Attaching the paneling to the stringers would be stronger? Some adhesives will melt styrofoam so check the label carefully.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Water Base Glue is what works best or Upholstery glue by 3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftwater15 View Post
Hi. Newbie here. I am restoring a nine and a half foot Bigfoot truck camper a window leaked and almost all of the wood went bad. I replaced the floor stringers and foam. I had to strip almost all of the paneling.. I am curious what is the best way to glue new paneling to the old foam insulation. Epoxy? Latex contact cement? PL foam board adhesive? Styrene resin? Thank you in advance. Also, I apologize of other threads have covered this topic
:
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

Washington
no stringers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I'm not sure why you would be attaching paneling to styrofoam. Usually, the glue is to attach the insulation and hold it in place and seal the spaces around it. Attaching the paneling to the stringers would be stronger? Some adhesives will melt styrofoam so check the label carefully.
There are no stringers in the walls, though there are in the ceiling and floor. The walls are just a sandwich of fiberglass shell, EPS foam and paneling, each layer glued with a pink contact cement.

Polyurethane glue did not adhere well gluing stringers to the floor. I ended up using epoxy.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:Water Base Glue is what works best or Upholstery glue by 3M
Stude
Have you used the water-based glue for a similar application? I am wondering how well it holds up to heat. I definitely don't want to do it twice.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftwater15 View Post
There are no stringers in the walls, though there are in the ceiling and floor. The walls are just a sandwich of fiberglass shell, EPS foam and paneling, each layer glued with a pink contact cement.

Polyurethane glue did not adhere well gluing stringers to the floor. I ended up using epoxy.
As few years back I insulated my foundation with ESP foam. I bought a liquid nails adhesive designed for the application. It didn't work. I called the 800 number on the tube. The guy that answered the phone couldn't help me so he connected me to an engineering type. After a few minutes chat he decided I had bought a "bad batch" and sent me a case of polyurethane adhesive. Worked like a charm. Not sure why it didn't work for you? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Makes sense David. My bad, I thought you were working on the floor.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote