Best Roadside Assistance Plan? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #21

Name: Doug
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Washington
Registry
Roadside Assistance

I have had Good Sam for years. We've used them twice, both in Oregon. I was very pleased with their service. In one case, they arrived in 15 minutes with a flatbed for the vehicle, a trailer hitch for the trailer, and a 4 door cab so the whole family could ride.

On the other hand, AAA would not come to my elderly parents' disabled vehicle because they said it was too far. I cancelled my AAA and never looked back.
DougnVicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #22

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
AAA has worked well for me over the years....last year.....I was riding with a friend in his truck pulling a large car trailer loaded with a small bulldozer....one of his trailer tires blew out on the freeway near Tacoma. I called AAA....they said my plan did not cover trailers....they offered to upgrade me over the phone....which cost about $30 more per year and send somebody out. I did the upgrade....a tow truck showed up within about 30 minutes....put the spare on while traffic zoomed by and we were on our way. My biggest mistake....thinking that my membership included towed vehicles. No problem now. I was impressed with AAA's response.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #23

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I've had two experiences calling Good Sam. The first one, my wife was driving a friend's vehicle and GS regular Roadside only covers vehicles owned by the policy holder. I promptly upgraded to Platinum Roadside so that wouldn't happen in the future.
The second time was in a rural area and it took awhile, but a service dealer did come and spent a long time finding someone who carried a needed part on my RV, but he stayed for hours till the problem was solved.
Overall I'm quite satisfied with GS. I don't think any other outfit would have done better.

Walt
Old 12-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #24

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
What I've heard is AAA won't go off a paved road, whereas Good Sam will. That said, when I called Good Sam from a campground the guy I spoke to asked how far from blacktop I was. Since all the roads within the state campground were dirt, I was quite a ways from paved. I told him it was ridiculous to ask because obviously I wasn't on a paved road, since inside the campground. The actual shop knew exactly where I was and didn't hesitate to come help me. And they did a great job. For what that experience is worth.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is one thread ( AAA or Good Sam ) that has no resolution. There is no answer since they all, to some degree, rely on independent contractors who may or may not be reliable, given the pittance they receive for attending a call.
I have BCAA Plus RV, but have never used it, so I can't offer a recommendation.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #26

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Regardless of who you use....it is unreasonable to think a tow company should go off road if that is where you decide to take your rig. If you go off road.....getting back on road is your responsibility. Have the right equipment....know how to use it.....I go off road hunting in some real rough areas.....I would never expect a tow truck to come rescue me if I have a problem. Don't go off road if you don't have the skills to help yourself. With that said....I have seen many tow trucks in campgrounds with dirt roads. I have also seen many vehicles buried in the sand around here on the beaches wondering why a tow truck won't come pull them out. I carry a tow rope in my truck....have pulled out a dozen folks over the years who got themselves in trouble and were not prepared.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I had AAA for 30 years but found out they do not cover a travel trailer here in Pennsylvania, coverages are state specific. The issue with AAA is they will come and tow your car but leave your trailer stranded. Good Sam sends a tow that will carry your vehicle and tow your trailer.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #28

My BCAA RV Plus covers the tow and trailer throughout North America.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #29

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
We dropped Good Sam after having it for a few years and they let us down on a trip to North Carolina. Locked the keys in the trunk. Was at a roadside attraction and 20 miles between two small towns. Even gave them the hwy number and they couldn't find us. My wife and I ended up hitch hiking after waiting for them until after dark. Now have AAA but have not had to use them as yet. Fingers crossed...
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My BCAA RV Plus covers the tow and trailer throughout North America.
Just do not come to Pennsylvania and ask for help...
Old 12-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Best Roadside Assistance Plan?

My friend’s California AAA sent a truck 3 miles off pavement to extricate a 1T van from a ditch, and two days later another truck to flatbed out a rental van with a lost key.

Won’t bore with the details, but it was an eventful trip to a local lake we had been to several times before without incident... Vehicle troubles were just the bookends.

Being off-pavement didn’t seem to be an issue.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just do not come to Pennsylvania and ask for help...

So, I queried BCAA ( an AAA affiliate ) and this is their response:

Hello Mr. Baglo,

I can confirm you do have the BCAA Plus RV membership which covers you for passenger and pleasure vehicles as well as recreational vehicles and trailers. The person on the forum may have misinformation or may not have the level of coverage needed for a trailer.

If you ever run into any problems with AAA in the US, please keep you receipts, and you can submit for reimbursement consideration upon your return to British Columbia.

For extra information I have attached a copy of the terms and conditions so that you may have a detailed reference guide for your membership.

If you have any further questions or concerns about your membership, please let me know and I would be happy to help you.

Sincerely,