best sealent for snap caps/rivits. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
best sealent for snap caps/rivits.

the space between the snap cap and fiberglass frame has lost some if its "butyl type" sealant. I am not ready to drill the rivets out and replace yet. I am looking for a product that I can apply to where the snap cap meets the fiberglass as a sealant to get me thru a season and also possibly carry on long trips for quick patches if problems arise.

I dont want to use silicone.

What about a product like this?

https://www.woodplumbingsupply.com/p...adhesive-caulk

Thanks all
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Sikaflex...

Sikaflex...you will not be disappointed...

keeps expanding slightly for some time after application guaranteeing water tightness....NEVER hardens/gets brittle...stays white years after application... paintable, sandable....and happens to be the most expensive product on the shelf... for good reason IMO
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
Sikaflex...you will not be disappointed...

keeps expanding slightly for some time after application guaranteeing water tightness....NEVER hardens/gets brittle...stays white years after application... paintable, sandable....and happens to be the most expensive product on the shelf... for good reason IMO

This stuff??

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...000172271.html
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
How about just leave it alone. Any visible sealant around the washer is superfluous. If you replace a pop rivet, you may choose to touch the tip in silicone before insertion which would theoretically seal the pop rivet shaft and leave some under the washer.
Peace of mind?... maybe.
Necessary?... debatable.

OBTW...If you want to seal rivets when installing them... silicone done right, is as good as it gets.
It is cheap. It is fluid for installation, rubber when cured, and invisible when done.
It is adhesive and seal forming.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 PM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
A couple summers ago, during a rainy night. I woke up to wet feet and wet foam and discovered one of my jalouse windows were starting to leak through its upper gasket!

As a quick fix I actually (without removing anything) stuck on a strip of butyl tape directly overtop of the gasket and the body directly above it on the outside of the trailer where it was leaking and it hasn't leaked since.

Sure the putty is dusty because it's exposed to the elements, but it's still working [emoji108]

Not sure if same goes with rivets if you were to just stick on a ball and squish it over it.
fofobraselio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
sika....

yes to your question....in home depot they call it "construction sealant"....in a boat store it would be called/labeled "marine sealant"...etc etc

sikaflex is sikaflex....is stays slightly elastic although hardens enough to hold a cigarette plug I installed (with no backing nut no less).....comes in black or white....buy the smallest tube you can (as one of the reviewers stated an opened tube will harden after a few weeks)

pictured below is my 12V (cigarette) plug...beside it is the factory installed AC receptacle sealed with silicone (nice neat job...but silicone turns black)
Attached Thumbnails
y.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote