Best way to Remove old Snap Caps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Name: Crystal
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Oregon
Smile Best way to Remove old Snap Caps

Hello!
Jason and I purchased a 2004 13' Scamp. We are fixing a few issues on it and would like to replace the snap caps as some have worn off. How can I remove these without damaging the fiberglass?
Some of the snap caps left behind a little ring of plastic around the plastic washer-any ideas on how to remove this?
Thanks for you your help!!
Crystal and Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Are you talking about the bottom of the white caps or the clear plastic cup like things the caps snap to.
So for those rings MIA you'll need to drill out the rivets and replace the rivet and the rings. Put a tiny touch of sealer under and in the ring then snap on new caps.
I buy caps for my Casita here, get a hundred caps, they deteriorate fast in the sun and lesser number of bases.
12/12 White Snap-Caps screw caps | Pro-Dec
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal and Jason View Post
Hello!
Jason and I purchased a 2004 13' Scamp. We are fixing a few issues on it and would like to replace the snap caps as some have worn off. How can I remove these without damaging the fiberglass?
Some of the snap caps left behind a little ring of plastic around the plastic washer-any ideas on how to remove this?
Thanks for you your help!!
Just use a thin screwdriver of knife to pry under the edge of the cap. If they are old and weathered they will almost fall apart.
The clear plastic cup under the rivets or screw heads are what hold the caps on.
Pop rivets need to be drilled out, screws can be backed out.
As another said, use a dab of silicone sealant under the cup.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
White caps

I just called Scamp a week or so ago and was told the small caps are no longer available. The small ones are used for such as curtain mount rivets. The parts man said they are no longer available from their supplier. Caps used to be available for a 13' or 16 ft with the correct number of each. I ordered for a 16' ( for my 13 ' ) so I would have extras and because shipping is high and about the same for both size Scamps. So now I have a few large caps but no small caps, and Scamp can't supply them. I have tried other kinds of caps but they are not just the same. Maybe someone can suggest other sources. And buy extras, especially in hot or dry climates. David in hot and dry Fresno and Sonora, California
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp