Better latch on Scamp bunk supports? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Better latch on Scamp bunk supports?

I am looking to improve the latch system that holds up the front bunk. That piddly little screw into that thin plywood doesn't exactly instill confidence! Are there examples of better solutions? I searched and almost all of the posts are about the factory posts and what they look like. I can weld but I do take the bed down every day so large permanent frames aren't really what I am looking for. I am envisioning some better locking mechanism attached to the original pole. Anyone have a good idea? Thank you.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
While I was washing the cover and had the plywood out of my front bunk anyway I installed two ¼” T nuts in it. I put them one inch over (outboard) from the original screws. My idea was that for a more permanent installation I could put a couple of ¼” bolts through the original posts that could not be kicked our bounced out. I have since built a different system (a 5” wide extension the full length of the bunk) that uses door hinges out near the ends so have done away with the factory posts altogether. The T nut idea would work fine with a couple of wing screws for quicker set-up and tear-down.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp