Big Foot "Wavy" Roof Concerns - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Currently Shopping Bigfoot
Ontario
Big Foot "Wavy" Roof Concerns

I have been looking for a 17ft Bigfoot. Inspected one that has some "minor" moisture damage (windows leaked while in storage and moisture was trapped inside the trailer). It had a very noticeable wave in the front fibreglass roof section and the roof liner was not stuck to the ceiling. Should I be concerned about this? Is this typical with older BF's. Pic attached?
paul dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #2

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about the roof, except that the interior ceiling coming away from it is concerning...

My Bigfoot has the wavy roof. But it has no water damage and the liner is not sagging. This is one of those things...might not be a big deal, but on the other hand it could be one of those campers you end up having to tear apart to fix damage.

I'm very hesitant to give buying advice, but I'd say be very, very cautious. If you don't want a project, and can afford a trailer in a more sound condition...I'd pass on this one.

This thread has photos of my roof.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: Currently Shopping Bigfoot
Ontario
sagging roof

Thanks, I figured over time the roofs might distort. There are other indications of roof leaks, for example the overhead lights have rusted out. water was obviously dripping down through the light fixture. Have a little more money, don't need a project! thanks
paul dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

Montana
Registry
Yeah I don't know what it's like out there in the market right now, but when I bought my camper, it was late Feb/early March, and there were very few around. By April and May, I saw around a dozen come up for sale, most at least as nice as mine, some less expensive. I'm happy with mine and with what I paid, but I could have done better on the price had I waited.

Anyway in Canada if you're willing to travel they seem to come up fairly often with varying prices, in pretty darn good condition. No need to rush into a project.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
I have to chime in.....

"Thanks, I figured over time the roofs might distort."

I can't agree with that blanket statement....BF roofs becoming "wavy" over time is a topic that comes up from time to time....a little more research reveals that those complaints come from pre 88 or 89 models....said problem can cause the insulated roof panels (which are stiff) to sometimes become seperated from the inside roof surface that they were glued to. That repair is a big job.

After 88 or 89 production techniques/specs must have changed because no "wavy roofs" have been reported as far as I can acertain.

Zacho's roof is very strange indeed....and not what is commonly referred to as the wavy roof condition (the whole portion of roof aft of the crown becomes slightly concave)....This is really strange as Zacho's is a 91. Would need more details and more pictures to hazard a guess of what happened there.

as long as you're still shopping I'll offer this one word of advice: if you can, buy from a knowledgeable owner....if you hear words like: "Don't know much about RVs but everything seemed to work for me..." run away...very fast. You want to buy form somebody who understands how his trailer and all its systems work....chances are he's kept up with maintenance and replaced over time the stuff that wears out....if you do end up with a "Don't know much..." owner, then offer him 30% below asking price as your final offer.....good luck in your search
Attached Thumbnails
spnew2.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

Montana
Registry
Yeah and almost 100% of the time when someone says "I don't know if it works, I never tried it" about any appliance, it means "it doesn't work".

Really, you owned the trailer 10 years and never even tried firing up the fridge/heater etc? Right...

It's just a lie that feels better to the seller, rather than flat-out lying and saying "yeah, everything works" when they know it doesn't.

I don't know what's up with my roof either, but it seems to be fine, so...Maybe some sort of flaw in the manufacturing process. Who knows.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
yeah who knows......

if it's stil keeping the rain out....and the inside is still right......who cares really???? it IS the roof after all...nobody sees it....

your picture is sure strange....could be just about anything oddball....like maybe somebody parked it inside a shop that had overhead radiant (gas) heaters maybe....(wild guess that is!)

in the end.... if it works...it works...carry on
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #8

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My 1991 has never had a problem with the roof and the inside all is what I expect dry.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote