Big foot widows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

Name: Carol
Trailer: Big foot
British Columbia
Big foot widows

Looking for help in replacing my side window of my 1985 Bigfoot the widow doesn’t appear to want to came out it there any secrets
Hairy Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
All the screws are out?

You want to have a person helping if possible, to make sure it doesn't fall out. But once the screws are out, it's just a matter of working it out of there. A putty knife or something similar to gently pry helps.

Since it's been in there for 30+ years, it's pretty well stuck in place. Shouldn't take too much persuasion to get it to separate, though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2004 17ft CB 1500 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Bigfoot widows

Harry, did you get them out? I just removed the windows on my 2004 17 ft, took them out of the frame, resealed the thermal units and put them back. I ended up getting a "dull knife" about 6 inches long and used it as a pry bar. Easing the knife in behind the frame every few inches and prying out. Slow and steady and till it pops. It does not hurt to heat up the knife a little to help get through the black window sealant. Any small marks on the fibreglass are behind the frame on reinstall. Not sure I would do it again, a lot of work!!! Would buy new windows from Sunview Windows in Summer land B.C. Good luck! Cheers, trapper
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
When I had to replace some windows in my previous Bigfoot 21FB I went on the internet and ordered some non-marring auto body trim tools (various shaped plastic? pry bars) from an auto body tool website. Not very expensive but not the kind of thing you find at Walmart or Target. I also ordered a heat gun with a digital temperature readout. A hair dryer will not get hot enough but a heat gun can get too hot and set things on fire. That is why the digital readout model to adjust the temperature. Even with all of that, it is not easy to get the old dry sealant loose. Doable but not easy.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I used a small 90 degree bent angle O ring pick hook to dig out the old putty tape that was keeping the windows stuck to the shell. Part of the job of removing windows is to somehow break that bond of the old putty tape. As you can see by the responses there is more than one way to do it and sometimes it takes a combination of tools to get it done.

But that strong little bent hook worked very nicely. They are not expensive and can be found at hardware and auto parts stores.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot