Big mistake with Hunter Compact or fixable with fiberglass? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
Mnf

Name: Micaela
Trailer: Hunter compact
CO
Big mistake with Hunter Compact or fixable with fiberglass?

Hi there!

My name is Mic and I am the recent owner of a hunter compact that needs a whole lotta tlc (quarantine project). I've read some awesome threads on fiberglassing that I hope can fix a lot of the trailer's issues but there are two daunting spots I have found after ripping everything out that are making me question if I made the right purchase. I am mostly concerned that the trailer is structurally sound.. I am hoping someone can give me a little advice, input, thoughts on how/if I can repair these 2 problem areas and what caused it? (I assume just bottoming out of the trailer on rough terrain). Anywho I feel a bit overwhelmed and appreciate any advice

With care and appreciation!
-Mic
Attached Thumbnails
20200920_162640.jpg   20200920_162018.jpg  

20200920_161933.jpg   20200920_161928.jpg  

Mnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #2

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
It is hard to tell what we are looking at; can you upload a picture or two that shows a larger area so we can get a better idea?

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Mnf

CO
Sorry about that, definitely! Here are a couple more photos. Essentially it is the back 2 corners of the trailer. One crack is where is is bolted to the trailer and on the opposite corner is seems like maybe from hits the fiberglass weakened from the outside? You can see lighter holes and damage from the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
20201001_130201.jpg   20201001_130253.jpg  

20201001_130143.jpg   20201001_130115.jpg  

Old 10-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
From these pics, the damage appears similar to damage on my 40 year old Trillium. In the case of my Trillium, the damage (which was present when I bought the trailer) was actually long term pitting and chipping caused by gravel and stone impacts while towing. It was easy to repair by grinding out the damage and applying new fiberglass mat and resin. The necessary techniques are covered in this thread:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html

Also covered in youtube channels such as BoatWorks Today.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
OK well looking at your additional pics, if the damage is in the rear then probably not caused by stone chips, but again, fairly easy to repair.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
Mnf

CO
Thanks so much John, that's some good news! I've read through that thread and am curious if you applied the fiberglass mat to the outside, and if you did, how did you support it on a corner/upsidown so it could harden? That's where I'm stumped
Old 10-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
I used a piece of single ply cardboard or flexible plastic (don't remember which), lined with a sheet of waxed paper the same size. I taped this to the EXTERIOR surface over the damaged area, with the waxed paper contacting the trailer body. Then I applied layers of fiberglass mat to the inside of the trailer body.

EDIT: My damaged area looked similar to yours. It was along the bottom edge of the trailer body.

EDIT: In my case, after I cleaned out and ground out the damage there was an opening that I could put my hand through.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
you cant repair anything that's dirty so you have to grind clean. then take a piece of plywood and wrap it with a plastic garbage bag. hold this up to the outside surface and screw it to the trailer from the inside. now on the inside build up the fiberglass and resin to the desired thickness and let it cure. then take out the screws holding the plywood on the outside. now you mix up some fiberglass and resin to fill the screw holes and any low spots. sand it and fair it back to the shape you want. Don't worry too much, as anything you don't like grinds off easily and can be redone. get yourself some small laminating rollers and some semi clear poly bag flatten out the bag and put that on top of the resin and fiber glass as you roll it, saves gooping up the roller and its time consuming clean-up and the bag seals the surface from the air so it cures better. just protect yourself from all the chemicals and fumes. work cleanly with a plan so you don't make a big mess to clean up or spread sticky crap all over the place. wear latex gloves at minimum and wear 2 layers at a time so you can peal off a dirty or torn layer and still have clean protected hands. working inside the trailer use a fan and a respirator we don't want you to pass out and die. boatworks today on you-tube is a good resource as are a lot of other You Tube stuff. worth the time to watch videos until you are comfortable with the process. start small until you kinda know whats going on then work your way up. this work is no difference than doing it on boats so there is allot of reference materials out there.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Fiber glass repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnf View Post
Sorry about that, definitely! Here are a couple more photos. Essentially it is the back 2 corners of the trailer. One crack is where is is bolted to the trailer and on the opposite corner is seems like maybe from hits the fiberglass weakened from the outside? You can see lighter holes and damage from the outside.
I have just finished a restore on a 1973 Amerigo FG16. I didn't have any floor repairs like yours but I did makes some changes that required some big fiberglass changes.
Your floor repairs could be caused by it being wet and freezing and thawing. If you can see fibers or the sparkle from them, those same fibers will absorb water, then is it freezes it will expand and weaken to whole area.

I removed a small storage door that was recessed so that I could install a new style furnace in the space. I saw som YouTube's where they repaired canoes using stretch wrap to span the hole.
I did that and backed it up with some 1/4" plywood backing it up, it worked great.
I did several layers from the inside, then removed the plywood and wrap. I was pretty close to a good patch. I did put another layer on the outside then started blending it in with Bondo and sanding. My patch it as strong or stronger than original work. Get a bunch.of disposable gloves and throw away paint brushes and get to work!
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #10

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I just did a similar repair of a haphazard repair on the front corner of our Compact II. It looked like maybe iit got hit while at the body shop for paint crushed the front lower corner and threw some wet matt epoxy at it and painted over. I ground out the old repair and redid with glass mats and thickened west system. If a 70 y/o woman can figure this out, you shouldn’t have any trouble!
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #11

Name: ThatGuyBri785
Trailer: HUNTER
Kansas
Follow the advice of your forum members and you'll look at it one day and almost forget the damage was ever even there. I had a tire blowout going 65 down the highway resulting in the below pic to the wheel weel of my 72 compact jr. Needless to say I was able to repair it just as the others had suggested you to do. It's not perfect, but since it was unnoticeable (especially with the tire on the trailer) I was okay with that.
PS rotate the picture to the right to get the correct orientation, I am currently on my phone and in a hurry but wanted to get this reply sent to you
Attached Thumbnails
20200710_210909.jpg  
Brian Dale is offline   Reply With Quote