Bigfoot 17b moving batteries inside? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Bigfoot 17b moving batteries inside?

I have a question for owners who have moved the batteries inside. I am thinking of moving mine to the rear closet between the bathroom and kitchen but I am wondering about wt distribution of having them behind the axel.

Has anyone done this and been successful and how has it affected your going wt and tow stability?

Thanks
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
Battery

It is much more the flow of acid and the steam inside that would disturb me that the weight has the back
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvon Chayer View Post
It is much more the flow of acid and the steam inside that would disturb me that the weight has the back

They would go on a try and have a compartment made that is vented.
www.directuganda.com
Old 03-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Since you referred to batteries in the plural, you must have more than one. Too much weight in the back especially if you remove weight from the tongue probably is not a good idea. Are the batteries located on the tongue now? One way to find out how this would effect the dynamics of towing would be to put some weight in the area you are considering as a battery location to simulate the conditions if you make the change. Set the trailer up to simulate the weight after the change, then tow the trailer to see how it handles.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
checking weight distribution

Agree with all of the above considerations. Concerning weight distribution, the rule of thumb is that the tongue weight should be 10-15% of the total loaded weight. Use that rule to ensure stable towing.

We go to a certified scale to get the total trailer weight. Tongue weight can be determined in some cases with a bathroom scale. Alternatively if you drive the trailer onto a certified scale and leave it hitched to the vehicle with vehicle OFF the scale, this gives you the total trailer weight minus tongue weight.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Ontario
Registry
I had these for dual batteries aft of the axle under the dinette seat in my last non FG trailer. Over it's lifetime I had 24s, 27s and 31s in them. No problem with fumes. https://goo.gl/ytfxOr

My current trailer (Escape 17 has 2 6vs on the bumper. Weight distribution seems fine except when I put 2 bikes back there too. Then I load up the front storage box with a bit more weight.
Backwater Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Caution advised if these are lead acid batteries! Hydrogen gas is liberated when these batteries are charged. Hydrogen gas is explosive. Without proper venting you could have a major explosion inside your unit. Several years ago I had a battery explode inside my garage while charging. The battery and the plastic battery box it was contained in completely disintegrated. There were pieces and acid all over my garage. What a mess!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #8

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Bill View Post
I had these for dual batteries aft of the axle under the dinette seat in my last non FG trailer. Over it's lifetime I had 24s, 27s and 31s in them. No problem with fumes. https://goo.gl/ytfxOr

My current trailer (Escape 17 has 2 6vs on the bumper. Weight distribution seems fine except when I put 2 bikes back there too. Then I load up the front storage box with a bit more weight.

Thanks for reminding me about the bikes. I have a rear bike rack on the back bumper.

I am upgrading the propane tanks from 2/20lb to 2/30lb but it will not make the difference up.

I run two 6v batteries tied together and they are lead.

The overall idea was to have them on a pull out tray street side right behind the axel. The door would be vented and they would be in cases in a compartment

Major concerns I see is Wt. this is right in frount of the black tank that is only used for gray watter. We have a portapotty.

Bikes on the rear hitch

I do have a blue ox hitch with sway but I would rather the trailer be loaded right and not depend on the hitch all the time to "fix things".

I do not want to put them under the frount bench dining table as it is used for sleeping and I don't like the idea of my head over a battery.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Would it not be possible, if the axle is reversed, to obtain enough space to make them a support with slides, protected, under the trailer, near the axle?

An idea like that that passes in my head.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #10

Alberta
I had not thought of that one. I no longer have a drop axel I had mine changed to a strait axel. This may be an optional way of doing this and keeping them outside. I will do some measuring
www.directuganda.com
Old 03-03-2017, 11:25 PM   #11

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
one more consideration....

B17s are all overweight left side due to all the stuff located on that side...just have a good look inside at your own trailer....so if you are going with more weight (dual batteries) finding a spot on the right side would be a good idea IMO...

that was my thinking when I did this....(home made batt. box screwed to the floor)
Attached Thumbnails
battbox3.jpg   battbox4.jpg  

battbox5.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, vin