Bigfoot assist handle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I'm trying to find a replacement lens cover for the lighted assist handle on my Bigfoot.

It seems that somewhere along the line the size of these handle units has changed. There are replacement lenses available, but they are 2" high, and the light on my handle needs a 3" high lens. I would rather find a replacement lens than have to replace the whole unit if at all possible.

This is similar to the type of unit I have (but the 2" high light) and it is the only one that anyone around here is selling parts for:

Click image for larger version

Name:	175.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	9657

Thanks!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
If you find a source Lainey please let me know. I have the same large assist handle with the lens missing.
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler and Surfside and Bigfoot 5th Wheel
We also are looking for the same thing. If anything pops up, we will be sure to tell you guys.
LaFaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #4

I emailed Bigfoot and this was their response:
"Your best bet in finding the part you need is to log onto the web and look for North West Trailer Parts. It is there that you will have your best luck in finding this particular part.
Hopefully this information is of some assistance."

I can't seem to find North West Trailer Parts online Not sure why the guy didn't just give me a link to the company, maybe they couldn't find it either

I had bought one of the shorter lenses but returned it too quickly after discovering it didn't fit. I'm wondering if two of them could be glassed together to make one larger lens, but now I don't remember if the width was right on the other one and there is no size listed. Anyone know?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #5

Lainey, I found Nortwest Trailer Parts online. They have shortened the name to NTP, here is a link. I'd email myself and ask but I'm at work and also don't have the measurements for the handle since the trailer is still at my son's house.

http://www.ntpdistribution.com/home.html
Old 08-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #6

Thanks Scott, you Google good

I bought two of the smaller ones when I was at the RV shop earlier today picking up a fridge part, so I'm guess I'll give that a try.

Maybe the fiberglassed together one may actually be stronger and last longer than the ellusive factory part. I guess I'll find out. If it works, I'll post a picture.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #7

I did email NTP about this part and I will post their reply.

For the meantime, I am still contemplating fabrication of a replacement as other research is leading me to believe that this part will not be found.

My existing handle/light is completely missing the cover, I was wondering if anyone else has partial/broken covers? If so, some pictures would help pleeease

I'm wondering if the bottom of the fixture was ever sealed off towards the bottom/handle part or if it was left open? I noticed that there is a hole along the left side that if this bottom area isn't sealed would be a path for dirt/bugs/yuck to get into the trailer wall.

If there are enough broken parts kicking around out there to recreate an original, I would be interested in compiling them and then getting a mold made at a plastic shop to produce these if people are interested. Or, perhaps someone has one that is intact even? The one I'm trying to match is called a "Reflect-o-lite 50 Series".

Click image for larger version

Name:	hangle.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	9695
Attached Thumbnails
handle_light.jpg  
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #8

Lainey, the hole is for a wire that runs to a switch that was mounted on the rear of the handle. It was a push button type and allows you to turn the light on from outside as well as inside. I think the bottom half must have been left open to allow use of the center rod as a handle.

Like you, I've been having no luck finding this lens and have thought I might take a whirl at making one up over the winter.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Mine was broken too. After an extensive search to find a replacement, and not finding one, i had to buy a new lighted assist handle assembly. The one I bought is the exact same as the one pictured. However, the new one is a little shorter, and wider, than the older one, so I had to add some wood, to fill the void. Also had to reshape the hole, where the handle is installed, to make it wider, for the handle to fit properly. Not too hard to do, but it took me about about an hour.

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
However, the new one is a little shorter, and wider, than the older one, so I had to add some wood, to fill the void.
That's what I was trying to avoid having to do - patch.

I wonder if there is anything else that could be installed here that would cover the existing cut out? I'm not sold on having this handle, just refurbing because it there I'm not opposed to installing a different style of handle if I can find a different style of light to install that would cover the old cut out.

Heard back from NTP saying they thought they would have something. I responded with more detailed info and am waiting to hear back if it's really the right one.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler and Surfside and Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Our handle lense is complete, it just has a crack from the screw hole. I can remove it for you to be able to make a mold for it, if you want. Just let us know.
LaFaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #12

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that if I don't have any sucess with NTP.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them with my fingers crossed. They wanted my zipcode and I told them I was in Canada (but interested in a bulk purchase) and I haven't hear back from them since! Have a feeling I won't either...
Old 07-31-2022, 12:26 PM   #13

Name: Diana
Trailer: 1985 Okanagan
BC
Lainey,

Did you ever resolve this issue? We've got the same issue for our 1985 Okanagan (we're also in Canada).
Diana W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot