Bigfoot B19 12V 30A main fuse location - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Bigfoot B19 12V 30A main fuse location

Doing a little electrical add-ons (20A circuits for ac and water heater respectively - yes only 15A for heater - it's a small 120V plug-in) and am having some difficulty locating the supposed 30A fuse located under the left seat. What I did find was a spade connection (covered in electricians tape) in the main power line coming from the battery under that seat. I suspect that my (or some other) PO kept blowing a fuse, and rather than track the problem, just cut the fuse out of the circuit and stuck the line back together with spade connectors.

Now I have already removed the improperly added gas lines and capped those off under the trailer (thanks for that Gordon) so I would very much like to get the incoming 12V back to what it should be as well. So - is there a specific type of 30A fuse & holder that I should use to replace it? Or just a standard in-line, white nylon glass-fuse holder, and pop a 30A fuse in there? I don't even know what that fuse & holder originally looked like. Is it possible to install a re-setable breaker in there? In case I do have something blowing that fuse and I have to track it down. Would be nice to be able to just re-set after every possible "fix" rather than replace fuses.

This is what i found under there (and that yellow flex line is one of the appliance gas lines that was added in, that I have subsequently removed.
Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3380.jpg  
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
as long as the fuse holder is rated for 30 amps continuous duty, that's fine, the wiring should be as large or larger than the wire at those two crimp on connectors, if smaller, you will eventually have an overheat problem. another alternative is a 30 amp self resetting breaker like the one below if you know your wiring is good:
Attached Images

Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
as long as the fuse holder is rated for 30 amps continuous duty, that's fine, the wiring should be as large or larger than the wire at those two crimp on connectors, if smaller, you will eventually have an overheat problem. another alternative is a 30 amp self resetting breaker like the one below if you know your wiring is good:
Thanks Joe. Since it would seem that the PO removed it completely, I am going to assume that it kept blowing the fuse. Now it's possible that replacing the control panel corrected the problem. But it may not have. It may have BEEN the problem. So I think in the short term, I will put in a standard 30A quick burn glass fuse. If that blows, then I guess I will have some electrical issues to trace.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot