Bigfoot collision - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 1996 Bigfoot 17
Oregon
Bigfoot collision

Last night a motorhome didn't set their parking brake and it rolled down the hill into my side driveway along my house striking my beloved 96 Bigfoot 17.5. The front corner is smashed in and the front cabinetry is dislodged, interior panels broken/torn, front window cover won't open, etc. It appears the fiberglass shell moved inward and bounced back, but the force dislodged everything in the front.

Luckily, the homeless person living in the motorhome has insurance, but I don't since I couldn't find an insurance company that would provide adequate coverage. They valued it based on the NADA and would pay out $3,500, and I paid $9,000 for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a repair shop in the Portland, Oregon area that I could take the trailer in for estimates and/or repair, if it is repairable? Any ideas on how to negotiate the true value with the motorhome's insurance carrier (Geico)?

By the way, the motorhome bounced off the Bigfoot, rolled over down a slope, and was hauled off in pieces, completely destroyed. Although my trailer sustained damage, I believe they are stout.
DalePortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bigfoot collision

The sad thing is that Geico may want to declare it totaled and pay you the $3500, or whatever. It might help to get online and collect a file of classified ads of similar trailers to bolster your case for a higher valuation. I have found the archives at Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale to have the most data. Without an agreed-value policy from your own insurer, though, it will likely be an uphill battle.

As to a repair facility, another member (also in OR) reported having some minor repair work done at a marine shop: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ood-71667.html. You could PM Byron for details. You could also contact a Bigfoot dealer for additional leads.

I am indeed sorry that this has happened. I hope you will be able to get this wonderful trailer back on the road.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Dale! It's a shame we are meeting by "accident," but you'll find a lot of knowledgable and helpful folks here.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The NADA book is a joke as you already know. The book is supposed to be based on sales figures based on sales completed by NADA dealers and since fiberglass trailers are rarely sold by dealers (usually private party to private party) the NADA numbers are very inaccurate. I would be surprised to find any actual Bigfoot 17 sales at all from any NADA dealers in the Pacific Northwest. Get as many examples of recent sales as you can to support the true value of your trailer. I'm sure I would not sell my trailer for $9000. I would ask the insurance company to produce some actual sales reports to support the NADA book. I doubt they can come up with any actual sales reports.

Bigfoot did not make a 17.5 until they introduced the 2500 series in 2004 or 2005. A 96 would be a 1500 series 17. There were 2 models a B17CB (center bath) and a B17G (gaucho). $9000 is not unreasonable for a nice 96 in either model .
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalePortland View Post
By the way, the motorhome bounced off the Bigfoot, rolled over down a slope, and was hauled off in pieces, completely destroyed. Although my trailer sustained damage, I believe they are stout.
That is one freak accident Dale and sorry to hear the Bigfoot took a hit. Not

Hope you get it fixed of replaced.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You might want to consider obtaining the salvage rights if the trailer is totaled. There are members here that are always looking for projects.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Check the recent sales thru the classifieds here and if any thru ebay also. Give those results to the adjuster and hopefully you can get a more equitable value.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There is a listing of fiberglass rv's recently sold here:
Fiberglass RVs SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

And there was a 1992 17' Bigfoot sold last month in Wenatchee (it was in cragslist) for $6500, which was a steal. His insurance company should be paying out "Replacment Value" if they want to total after the accident.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot