Bigfoot Fifthwheel Floor Questions ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Bigfoot 17 ft
Bigfoot Fifthwheel Floor Questions ???

We are thinking about having laminate put in our 1988 Bigfoot Fifthwheel. Can anyone who has done this before describe the current flooring " layers" ?? Lino glued to a floor board ?? Then fastened to the frame ?? How thick is the wood subfloor ?? There is a small spot in front of the stove that moves when you stand on it. I'm assuming the lino needs to come off and a new subfloor be replaced and then the laminate put on top ?? Does anyone know how the water and gas lines run ?? ( floor frame ?? )We dont have a clue and would appreciate your input.
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hi Mitch; I recently pulled the subfloor out of my 17' Bigfoot and it was 1" framing with 1" insulation laminated from the outside glass to the floor which was 1/2" plywood. It was glued and screwed down. Here is a picture of what I did. I just duplicated what was already there and replaced it. I put adhesive between the wood framing and the fibreglass below and put in 1" insulation and then glued foam and frame to the 1/2" plywood on top.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
002.jpg  
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h View Post
Hi Mitch; I recently pulled the subfloor out of my 17' Bigfoot and it was 1" framing with 1" insulation laminated from the outside glass to the floor which was 1/2" plywood. It was glued and screwed down. Here is a picture of what I did. I just duplicated what was already there and replaced it. I put adhesive between the wood framing and the fibreglass below and put in 1" insulation and then glued foam and frame to the 1/2" plywood on top.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Hey Ken !!
Once the snow finally stopped, we found the various hoses for the electrical actually go all the way around the trailer and not under the floor.We don't think that we will need to remove the floor like you did in yours. We're thinking we will just be putting the laminate on top of the existing floor and the section that moves when you stand on it has never been fastened to the cupboards or the frame ??? There are no signs of water stains or lifting on the lino or cupboard area or anywhere else.Was the floor on your trailer in bad shape ? Is there some other way to check the floor for damage besides ripping the lino out ??
Thanks for your photos and your info. It helps to know what the layers are before we start to take things apart and possibly make holes in the various tanks below. Kindest regards, Mitch
Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #4

Well thanks to Ken's advice and picture we were able to figure out our next move. Our floor is just as he described " 1" framing with 1" insulation laminated from the outside glass to the floor which was 1/2" plywood. "

Our friend who is doing the work is a floor guy ( thanks heavens ! ) and looked at Ken's response and got straight to it. It appears that the pink adhesive has given way and the lino was holding the section of floor together. Luckily the board under the lino showed no signs of water damage. He plans on strenghtening the floor with more cross braces and reglueing the wood etc.

I've included a rather bad photo of the section to be reinforced. It shows the pink adhesive everywhere and the blue insulation. Someone might find it helpful....and give them the courage to start their floor projects !
Attached Thumbnails
5th wheel floor before.jpg  

Tags
bigfoot