Bigfoot Front Awning latches - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #21

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
why ask why....

I have the same rock guard on my 97B17....when the latches failed a PO just sourced two SS bolt that threaded into the bottom half of the latches.....it worked.... and is just slightly annoying as I have to turn the bolts in or out every time....lately I have just used one side to secure the guard in the down position....

here's the "why ask why" .....I'm wondering why I need to secure the thing in the down position to begin with....there are those two gas struts that keep the thing open or closed anyway....when driving wouldn't the wind do a good job, a very good job, of keeping the guard pushed hard against the coach??? I'm having a hard time imagining a stituation where the guard would open during travel....if it's about vibration and the guard damaging/wearing the FG on the coach, a couple of strategically placed little rubber bumpers would take care of that....

next trip I'll have to try leaving the thing unlatched and see what happens...my guess is not very much at all.....happy motoring
Attached Thumbnails
auki.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
You'll find that if they aren't secured, or both secured that the edge will wear a slight mark or groove over time into the coach body. Ask me how I know.
DwayneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
thanks Dwayne...

yep I can see how that would happen....hence my rubber bumper comment....

if the thing opened up during travel it would be a major disaster... on possibly more than one front.....hummmm....so even if I didn't latch the "belt and suspenders on" side of my personality would make me have a safety of some kind....so maybe I should just keep latching...it's already there after all
Old 08-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
Stu:
your repair is what bigfoot uses on newer trailers, our 2005 17.5g has the rubber strap. the rubber part is attached to the face edge of the rock shield, rather than the bottom edge like in your picture. this also exerts a clamping force to keep the rock guard closed against the wind that will try to lift it. I am going to need to replace them this season or soon as the rubber is wearing out in the clamping socket. If this isn't clear I can take a picture another time. I realized after posting I had it upside down, the rubber attaches to the body and the c shaped receiver on the rock guard.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2202.jpg   IMG_2203.jpg  

Martin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #25

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Thanks Martin! I was going to order the pseudo replacement parts from VTS but think I will go with the rubber latches and install how you've shown. The original part's design seems to be overly complicated for it's function and prone to failure (hence BF going to the rubber latches in later years).
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
if the thing opened up during travel it would be a major disaster... on possibly more than one front.....hummmm....so even if I didn't latch the "belt and suspenders on" side of my personality would make me have a safety of some kind....so maybe I should just keep latching...it's already there after all
We have a member here who lost theirs on the I-5 a number of years ago due to forgetting to latch it. They went back for it and I don't recall the details but I think they did find it but it was badly broken up. Don't recall if it had been run over a few times or it simple broke up while bouncing down the road.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:24 AM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have used those rubber latches on a cab I built for one of my tractors. Over time the rubber deteriorated and broke, so be aware of that. You may need to replace them after a few years. I also used on that same project a pair of spring loaded metal latches, same idea as the rubber, but metal and chrome. They were from a 70's International truck fiberglass hood. Latches similar in size to the rubber ones are available in steel, possibly for vintage Jeeps
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:38 AM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
thanks Carol....

LOL....I'll file that idea in my "great idea...too bad it didn't work" drawer....IF there's still some room left in there

Tags
awning, bigfoot